fraggy

Default Barge with camper?

hiya
Here in Norfolk UK we have hire boats on the broads which are flat backed
with a wheelhouse. A caravan can be reversed on the back so that you can
live in the caravan while afloat. good idea

fragged

"Bill" wrote in message
Does anyone have any plans for a barge that would comfortably float a
36 foot camper chained to the deck. Prefer wood with glass over than
steel, but nothing is set in concrete. Plan to use it as a summer home
as property is so expensive. Drive it on in late spring, drive it off
in mid fall. Thanx.

Peggie Hall

Interesting concept. A couple of things to consider in your
planning...'cuz living on the water is a wee bit different from living
on land:

Waste (black water) disposal: RVs dump waste holding tanks via
gravity...boats are pumped out through a deck fitting...so you're gonna
have to figure out how to modify your RV's holding tank to be pumped out
unless you want to drive it off to an RV dump station every time it gets
full. You cannot replumb to flush the toilet overboard...that's illegal.

The good news is, unless you're planning to put this deus ex machina on
Lake George NY or Lake Winnipesaukee NH, you don't have to hold your
gray water...it can go directly overboard. But still, another plumbing
modification-- either to the plumbing to allow your sinks and shower to
drain directly overboard or to the gray water tank so it can be pumped out.

You'll either have put the barge where there's a mobile pumpout service
that can come to you, or have a means of moving it to a dock that has
pumpout facilities. Or, sewer connections for both tanks.

Taking on water shouldn't be an issue...a fill and a hose to stick in it
is pretty much universal. But you still have to be able to get to a
source of water.

You'll also need a source of power to recharge your batteries if you
want any light or even water--your water pump needs power. If you have a
generator, all you need is fuel for it...but if you don't...anyhow, just
thought I'd mention it.

Also, if the barge will be permanently moored, you may need permits to
do it.

All things to consider...'cuz there's just a WEE bit more to living in a
camper on a barge on the water than just driving the RV onto the barge
and chaining it down for the summer.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Bill wrote:
Does anyone have any plans for a barge that would comfortably float a
36 foot camper chained to the deck. Prefer wood with glass over than
steel, but nothing is set in concrete. Plan to use it as a summer home
as property is so expensive. Drive it on in late spring, drive it off
in mid fall. Thanx.

Over40pirate

How about driving a motorhome on to a barge with a set of dyno rollers to power
a prop, or a paddle wheel!
Should be lots of room in the barge for water, and holding tanks.

Bill

As some of you mentioned, yes, we have given this a little more than
just a quick thought. We have a gen set, so power isn't a problem. For
blackwater we are thinking of an Electrasan style disposal system, and
we have even thought of a composting toilet, althoughmost harbors have
mobile pumpout boats. Potable water, and fuel will be transported by a
small boat. It is a trailer, so no power for side paddles, however we
plan to mount a motor on it so that it is a power boat and beats most
of the very restrictive house boat laws. I like the idea of the double
hull idea, similar to a cat. I hadn't thought of some of the points
you brought up, especially the lack of large equipment to move things.
Thanx for all of your replys, keep thinking. This idea seems to be
catching on.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:34:55 GMT, Bill wrote:

Does anyone have any plans for a barge that would comfortably float a
36 foot camper chained to the deck. Prefer wood with glass over than

Bill

We aren't sure where we will end up going at this point, however it
will be on the east coast, harbor, maybe Cape Cod area, but not sure.
Bill

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:50:12 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Bill wrote:
As some of you mentioned, yes, we have given this a little more than
just a quick thought. We have a gen set, so power isn't a problem. For
blackwater we are thinking of an Electrasan style disposal system...

Where do you plan to put the barge? If not in coastal waters or a
navigable river, you may not be able to use a treatment device
(Lectra/San)....'cuz all non-navigable inland lakes are "no discharge"
(black water only) water, which would limit you to a holding tank or
possibly a composter...but composters aren't entirely without drawbacks
either.

Peggie
----------
[...]

Peggie Hall

Suuuure he will...as long as the 8000 lbs doesn't sink him first.

Keith wrote:
Oh come on Peggie... he'll be on a barge with probably 10,000 gallon
capacity! The ultimate holding tank! hehehe

Peggie Hall

In most coastal waters, treated discharge is legal...but not in a good
portion MA coastal waters, including Buzzards Bay, Nantucket and MV. But
if you choose the right spot, it's definitely your best option...no
holding tank to maintain or service, and by FAR the most ecologically
sound solution to onboard waste management.

Give me a shout if I can answer any questions when you're ready to begin
construction.

Peggie
----------

wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

Jacques Mertens

Not a bad idea. 20 years ago, I almost bought an old landing craft, around
45' with twin stern drives, army surplus. I
I thougth of buying the landing craft, put a small motor home on it and
travel down the ICW that way.
It would have been ideal for what you describe. Maybe you should check US
governement surplus auctions.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Bill" wrote in message
Does anyone have any plans for a barge that would comfortably float a
36 foot camper chained to the deck. Prefer wood with glass over than
steel, but nothing is set in concrete. Plan to use it as a summer home
as property is so expensive. Drive it on in late spring, drive it off
in mid fall. Thanx.

Ron Thornton

Jacques idea sounds good. There is an outfit in Portsmouth, VA that
sells surplus landing craft. I've seen several converted to house boats
over the years. They are very sturdy and many come with diesels that
are rebuildable.

Ron

Bill

Thanx all for your ideas. Gee, never thought many people would be
interested.
Jaques---I like the idea of the landing craft, never thought
of that option. I wonder if they are expensive to maintain and
operate. I have heard they have problems with air shifting and realted
problems, but on the good side they have GM power plants. Might you
have a web site for the place that sells them?
Ed--The barge house in Baltimore sounds exactly like what I
would love to do but money is a concern--we aren't poor, but aren't
rich either. Great idea if we could find one though. Just leave it
moored over the winter. Ice probably wouldn't bother it.
Peggy---I wonder if the composting toilet might leave bad
odors down wind causing hate and discontent wtih those who are there?
Any ideas?? I am leaning toward a holding tank as pumping out on most
Cape harbors is free.
Does anyone know if a steel barge needs to be hauled very
often for painting, maint., or whatever?
Thanx again everyone.

Bill