Bill Cole

Default Boats docked on coastal waters question....

If it is possible you want to move your boat off the water and move it
inland. If it is not possible you want to tie it up, with extra lines and
spring lines, and keep it off of the dock. Even if it is covered by
insurance, you will have to pay for the deductible, put up the headache of
having it repaired, and anything you can do to minimize a claim is to your
benefit.

My insurance gives me an extra 10% off any year I do not file a claim, but
most importantly, it is the right thing to do to minimize the probability
you will have to file a claim.

"stealth" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Find your insurance agent's home address and send him flowers. When he

calls
to thank you, remind him that you know where he lives.

So the concensus is that you tie the boat up and hope for the best. I

would
have thought that a boat would take a severe thrashing beating up against
the dock once the water churned up due to the storm. Thanks for the
feedback.

Gfretwell

If it is not possible you want to tie it up, with extra lines and
spring lines, and keep it off of the dock.

The "keep it off the dock" is a real important consideration. Even in a fairly
minor "near miss" you can end up with an extra 6 foot of tide. I usually pull
my boat out of the dock and tie it off the end of the dock, well clear. There
are some outlying piles and a tree that I use for this. This way I don't have
to worry about the boat coming out the roof of my lift and/or finding it
sitting on the pier.
stealth

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
If it is not possible you want to tie it up, with extra lines and
spring lines, and keep it off of the dock.

The "keep it off the dock" is a real important consideration. Even in a

fairly
minor "near miss" you can end up with an extra 6 foot of tide. I usually

pull
my boat out of the dock and tie it off the end of the dock, well clear.

There
are some outlying piles and a tree that I use for this. This way I don't

have
to worry about the boat coming out the roof of my lift and/or finding it
sitting on the pier.

But how would one do this with a 40'-50' boat kept in a year around slip at
a marina? This was the general inquisition of my original post.

stealth

"stealth" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Find your insurance agent's home address and send him flowers. When he

calls
to thank you, remind him that you know where he lives.

So the concensus is that you tie the boat up and hope for the best. I

would
have thought that a boat would take a severe thrashing beating up

against
the dock once the water churned up due to the storm. Thanks for the
feedback.

I don't know if it's a consensus, really. What if the boat's too big to
transport, but too small to take out to sea? Or, what if your level of

skill
for the "out to sea" idea is just not up to par?

Precisely my question; what does one do under these circumstances? For
instance, Florida marinas are chock full of high dollar large boats with
inexperienced out of state owners, yet hurricanes in that area are not
uncommon. Do these boat owners just "chance" that their boat will be
alright?

stealth

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
If it is possible you want to move your boat off the water and move it
inland. If it is not possible you want to tie it up, with extra lines and
spring lines, and keep it off of the dock. Even if it is covered by
insurance, you will have to pay for the deductible, put up the headache of
having it repaired, and anything you can do to minimize a claim is to your
benefit.

My insurance gives me an extra 10% off any year I do not file a claim, but
most importantly, it is the right thing to do to minimize the probability
you will have to file a claim.

I agree. But the question remains as what does one do with their boat when a
hurricane is forcast for the area adn the boat is kept in a slip at a marina
and too large to trailer inland? Obviously, this should be of great concern
for those who own expensive boats in hurricane country.

Doug Kanter

"stealth" wrote in message

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds to me like there are only two alternatives left:

1) Hit the books (and newsgroups) before a hurricane, to be sure you know of
creative ways of tying the boat up in storms. And, make sure you have the
necessary ropes to do the job. Consult with more experienced people IN
PERSON, standing next to your boat.

2) Have it hauled out of the water. But....we've all seen news photos of
boats blown off their stands by storms....

Gfretwell

This way I don't
have
to worry about the boat coming out the roof of my lift and/or finding it
sitting on the pier.

But how would one do this with a 40'-50' boat kept in a year around slip at
a marina? This was the general inquisition of my original post.

If you think about it you will remember seeing pictures of big boats sitting up
on the road after any big storm. At a certain point you are simply left with
the option of trying to run from the storm or just tying up well and crossing
your fingers.
In a big boat (40' of more) running may be the best option but you need to act
early and guess right on the direction you run.
If I really expect the worst I will put my boat up on a trailer. Park it cross
ways in front of the garage door, park my truck in front of that and a car in
front of that.
My thinking is all of that metal will protect the boat and the garage door.
If not I imagine everything I own was a goner anyway.

stealth

"Keith" wrote in message
See: http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/brochure.asp

Probably one of the best sites on how to weather a hurricane. Florida made

law making it illegal for marina owners to require you to leave in case of

hurricane, but I don't think there is a Federal one. They'd have to tow my
boat out if they wanted it out... and then be responsible for it.

--

Good info. Thanks.

Kevin Rudisill

"stealth" wrote in message ...
"Keith" wrote in message

snip

Good info. Thanks.

I would think, unless you have a real sheltered area, it would be
better to put the boat out to anchor (with one or two good ground
holders), and lots of nylon rode. A large bag of vegatable oil with a
hole poked in it, floating above the anchor should create a slick that
will prevent waves breaking on the boat. The same could be done with
the drogue if one decides to go offshore and ride it out. I've heard
the same thing can be accomplished with air bubbles too (which also
significantly cut down on the wave action).

With something like a powerboat, though, the question arises: Do you
want to tie the drogue off the bow or the stern. If you tie off the
bow, the wave action is somewhat mitigated (as it is usually stronger)
however the boat will be going backwards at quite a clip, which could
cause it to swamp, rudder damage, etc... If you tie the drogue off
the stern, then you stand the chance of getting pooped by a big wave.
Conventional wisdom, at least with sailboats, is to tie off the stern
though, to prevent rudder damage, although granted, usually sailboats
have a lot bigger rudders than power boats do.

I guess probably the best scenario would be for a power boater to go
below and turn your rudders around backwards if possible (i.e.
disconnect the linkage) plus stow all the gear you can as far forward
as you can (to stop the stern from digging in) and tie the drogue off
the bow.

-Kevin
Paul Schilter

Kevin,

I would imagine that you wouldn't want to drogue your boat unless you
had a lot of water at your stern to ride it out. Probably something you
wouldn't want to do unless you were miles out to sea. It was my impression
that you would only put the drogue from the bow to keep the bow into the
waves.

Paul

"Kevin Rudisill" wrote in message
m...