Paul Schilter

Default Boats docked on coastal waters question....

Kevin,

I would imagine that you wouldn't want to drogue your boat unless you
had a lot of water at your stern to ride it out. Probably something you
wouldn't want to do unless you were miles out to sea. It was my impression
that you would only put the drogue from the bow to keep the bow into the
waves.

Paul

"Kevin Rudisill" wrote in message
m...
"stealth" wrote in message

"Keith" wrote in message

snip

Good info. Thanks.

I would think, unless you have a real sheltered area, it would be
better to put the boat out to anchor (with one or two good ground
holders), and lots of nylon rode. A large bag of vegatable oil with a
hole poked in it, floating above the anchor should create a slick that
will prevent waves breaking on the boat. The same could be done with
the drogue if one decides to go offshore and ride it out. I've heard
the same thing can be accomplished with air bubbles too (which also
significantly cut down on the wave action).

With something like a powerboat, though, the question arises: Do you
want to tie the drogue off the bow or the stern. If you tie off the
bow, the wave action is somewhat mitigated (as it is usually stronger)
however the boat will be going backwards at quite a clip, which could
cause it to swamp, rudder damage, etc... If you tie the drogue off
the stern, then you stand the chance of getting pooped by a big wave.
Conventional wisdom, at least with sailboats, is to tie off the stern
though, to prevent rudder damage, although granted, usually sailboats
have a lot bigger rudders than power boats do.

I guess probably the best scenario would be for a power boater to go
below and turn your rudders around backwards if possible (i.e.
disconnect the linkage) plus stow all the gear you can as far forward
as you can (to stop the stern from digging in) and tie the drogue off
the bow.

-Kevin