Default Ping: Duck re. Norton

wrote in message

Just curious. Do you *read* posts before you respond to them?

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but suggested it anyway.

-------------------------

Well, in that case, thanks. AVG *was* the program I was trying to install.
It now is installed, and is working fine.

Eisboch

hk hk is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...

Do you have a separate hard drive backup device for your various
computers?

No. I really don't think I have a need for one. I don't keep anything
of importance or value on the computers and the few files that I want to
save I burn to either a data CD or a Flash Memory card. Lately I've
been making my own music videos that I burn to DVDs.

I also keep CD backups of various specialty programs that I use often
which are mostly music and/or audio mixing/manipulation programs.

When I was working and the computer I used had important documents on
it, it was automatically backed up every night. Not by me though. I
wouldn't know how. It was done by the the resident company IP/computer
guru.

Eisboch

I was going to recommend a NAS. Fairly easy to set up, and once it is
set up, it auto backs up every computer attached to the net every night.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:08:25 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 9:45 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
Ok. Did as you suggested. It only took less than a minute, then called for
a "restart", which I allowed. When the computer came back up there was no
Norton to be seen. (Maybe it was uninstalled quickly because I had never
enabled it to begin with).

I got a balloon from Windows telling me I didn't have any anti-virus
programs installed.
The Windows firewall is on, but it said no virus protection software was
detected.

I figured "good", and then proceeded to try and install the AVG software.
The installation started, extracted all the files, etc., then a message
came
up saying that it had detected another installed anti-virus program and
didn't recommend continuing unless I got rid of whatever it is. So, I
aborted the installation.

Windows Defender?

Have you tried AVG ? Its free, and I've never had anything hit me in
ages.....
-----------------------------------

Just curious. Do you *read* posts before you respond to them?

Damn man - I just choked on an apple.

Give a guy some warning will you? :)
--

Happy Holidays and Merry Whatever It Is
That ****es Liberals Off.

wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 9:45 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

The free AVG lacks some pretty important features. The paid version is
far superior, and is as good as Norton. The free one, not so much...

My opinion is that by practicing *safe hex* you can pretty much be assured
that you won't have any problems. I've been very active on the Internet for
about 20 years and have never had my machines (Windows) infected. All I've
ever used beside being careful is something like the free version of AVG.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:45:13 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

Like the Duck, I am also careful about where and what I look for. Maybe
it's luck or maybe it's not, but I certainly have never experienced any
of the horror stories of infections one hears about.

*Where* may have a lot to do with it. A computer illiterate friend had
me look at his computer. It had slowed to a crawl, and he couldn't
figure it out. The "problem" was a 15 year old son that had access to
the computer. I can only guess at all the warez, porno, and other
crapware sites he had been visiting. I couldn't count all the malware
installed.

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:08 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:45:13 -0500, Eisboch wrote:
Like the Duck, I am also careful about where and what I look for. Maybe
it's luck or maybe it's not, but I certainly have never experienced any
of the horror stories of infections one hears about.

*Where* may have a lot to do with it. A computer illiterate friend had
me look at his computer. It had slowed to a crawl, and he couldn't
figure it out. The "problem" was a 15 year old son that had access to
the computer. I can only guess at all the warez, porno, and other
crapware sites he had been visiting. I couldn't count all the malware
installed.

For that purpose, I purchased Adaware SE. It removes ALL trackers and
malware.
Now, if someone could only invent a scan tool that would erase
Herring, and Uncle Loogy .

Start Turn Off Computer Turn Off

"D.Duck" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:08 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:45:13 -0500, Eisboch wrote:
Like the Duck, I am also careful about where and what I look for. Maybe
it's luck or maybe it's not, but I certainly have never experienced any
of the horror stories of infections one hears about.

*Where* may have a lot to do with it. A computer illiterate friend had
me look at his computer. It had slowed to a crawl, and he couldn't
figure it out. The "problem" was a 15 year old son that had access to
the computer. I can only guess at all the warez, porno, and other
crapware sites he had been visiting. I couldn't count all the malware
installed.

For that purpose, I purchased Adaware SE. It removes ALL trackers and
malware.
Now, if someone could only invent a scan tool that would erase
Herring, and Uncle Loogy .

Start Turn Off Computer Turn Off

Or, alternatively, right click on "rec.boats", unsubscribe, left click.
Bye.

Eisboch

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 03:09:03 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:08 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:45:13 -0500, Eisboch wrote:
Like the Duck, I am also careful about where and what I look for. Maybe
it's luck or maybe it's not, but I certainly have never experienced any
of the horror stories of infections one hears about.

*Where* may have a lot to do with it. A computer illiterate friend had
me look at his computer. It had slowed to a crawl, and he couldn't
figure it out. The "problem" was a 15 year old son that had access to
the computer. I can only guess at all the warez, porno, and other
crapware sites he had been visiting. I couldn't count all the malware
installed.

For that purpose, I purchased Adaware SE. It removes ALL trackers and
malware.
Now, if someone could only invent a scan tool that would erase
Herring, and Uncle Loogy .

Start Turn Off Computer Turn Off

Duck, I don't change my name very often. You can just filter me.

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:08 pm, wrote:
[...]

Huh?

I just suggested a *filter* to slammer that was all inclusive. I don't
filter anybody.

Ping: The Donald (D.Duck) Eisboch[_2_] General 6 October 11th 07 11:21 PM
BE - Duck PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 2 October 3rd 07 06:00 PM
OT Duck, duck....goosed! JimH General 1 January 30th 06 03:21 PM
If it walks like a liberal duck and spends like a liberal duck Vito ASA 10 December 7th 04 05:58 PM
Goodbye, Norton Bobsprit ASA 0 November 12th 03 02:01 PM