Default Ping: Duck re. Norton

Ok. Did as you suggested. It only took less than a minute, then called for
a "restart", which I allowed. When the computer came back up there was no
Norton to be seen. (Maybe it was uninstalled quickly because I had never
enabled it to begin with).

I got a balloon from Windows telling me I didn't have any anti-virus
programs installed.
The Windows firewall is on, but it said no virus protection software was
detected.

I figured "good", and then proceeded to try and install the AVG software.
The installation started, extracted all the files, etc., then a message came
up saying that it had detected another installed anti-virus program and
didn't recommend continuing unless I got rid of whatever it is. So, I
aborted the installation.

Windows Defender?

Eisboch

On Jan 6, 9:45*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

Have you tried AVG ? Its free, and I've never had anything hit me in
ages.....

Eisboch wrote:
Ok. Did as you suggested. It only took less than a minute, then called
for a "restart", which I allowed. When the computer came back up there
was no Norton to be seen. (Maybe it was uninstalled quickly because I
had never enabled it to begin with).

I got a balloon from Windows telling me I didn't have any anti-virus
programs installed.
The Windows firewall is on, but it said no virus protection software was
detected.

I figured "good", and then proceeded to try and install the AVG software.
The installation started, extracted all the files, etc., then a message
came up saying that it had detected another installed anti-virus program
and didn't recommend continuing unless I got rid of whatever it is. So,
I aborted the installation.

Windows Defender?

Eisboch

Yes, uninstall Defender
hk hk is offline

Eisboch wrote:
Ok. Did as you suggested. It only took less than a minute, then called
for a "restart", which I allowed. When the computer came back up there
was no Norton to be seen. (Maybe it was uninstalled quickly because I
had never enabled it to begin with).

I got a balloon from Windows telling me I didn't have any anti-virus
programs installed.
The Windows firewall is on, but it said no virus protection software was
detected.

I figured "good", and then proceeded to try and install the AVG software.
The installation started, extracted all the files, etc., then a message
came up saying that it had detected another installed anti-virus program
and didn't recommend continuing unless I got rid of whatever it is. So,
I aborted the installation.

Windows Defender?

Eisboch

No. I installed AVG on one of my VISTA machine while Defender was
running. Defender is not an anti-vi...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../software.mspx

Windows Live One Care, though, does contain an anti-vi, if memory serves.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...re/default.htm

But it is a sign up and pay for service, I think.

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 9:45 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

-----------------------------------

Just curious. Do you *read* posts before you respond to them?

Eisboch

"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It's an anti-spyware program. It still works even with AVG now
successfully installed.

Eisboch

Default Duck re. Norton

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Ok. Did as you suggested. It only took less than a minute, then called
for a "restart", which I allowed. When the computer came back up there
was no Norton to be seen. (Maybe it was uninstalled quickly because I had
never enabled it to begin with).

I got a balloon from Windows telling me I didn't have any anti-virus
programs installed.
The Windows firewall is on, but it said no virus protection software was
detected.

I figured "good", and then proceeded to try and install the AVG software.
The installation started, extracted all the files, etc., then a message
came up saying that it had detected another installed anti-virus program
and didn't recommend continuing unless I got rid of whatever it is. So, I
aborted the installation.

Windows Defender?

Eisboch

Sorry, but I don't know what to tell you. In the case I'm referring to it
was on an HP laptop. From all appearances of the length of time to
uninstall it was installed and just sitting there waiting to be activated.
I don't know it there was a free trial period or not. I did the uninstall
thing before opening any other of Norton's shortcuts.

Widows defender and an antivirus can co-exist.

hk hk is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Do you have a separate hard drive backup device for your various computers?

"hk" wrote in message
m...

Do you have a separate hard drive backup device for your various
computers?

No. I really don't think I have a need for one. I don't keep anything of
importance or value on the computers and the few files that I want to save I
burn to either a data CD or a Flash Memory card. Lately I've been making my
own music videos that I burn to DVDs.

I also keep CD backups of various specialty programs that I use often which
are mostly music and/or audio mixing/manipulation programs.

When I was working and the computer I used had important documents on it, it
was automatically backed up every night. Not by me though. I wouldn't
know how. It was done by the the resident company IP/computer guru.

Eisboch

On Jan 6, 11:08*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 6, 9:45 am, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but suggested it anyway.

Ping: The Donald (D.Duck) Eisboch[_2_] General 6 October 11th 07 11:21 PM
BE - Duck PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 2 October 3rd 07 06:00 PM
OT Duck, duck....goosed! JimH General 1 January 30th 06 03:21 PM
If it walks like a liberal duck and spends like a liberal duck Vito ASA 10 December 7th 04 05:58 PM
Goodbye, Norton Bobsprit ASA 0 November 12th 03 02:01 PM