Default restoring worn out gun barrells

HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

Frogwatch wrote:
HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

You can buy liners for most calibers. You bore out the old bore and
insert the liner after heating th barrel or other methods. I believe
some of the liners offered chrome bores.
Brownells use to and probably still does this work and offers the parts.

On Dec 31, 10:37 pm, nada wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

You can buy liners for most calibers. You bore out the old bore and
insert the liner after heating th barrel or other methods. I believe
some of the liners offered chrome bores.
Brownells use to and probably still does this work and offers the parts.

I found this fascinating article on barrel making.
http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20...anufacture.htm

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

Pitting and rifling getting worn. You might be better off offering the
service on new barrels.

CalifBill wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

Pitting and rifling getting worn. You might be better off offering the
service on new barrels.

In a semi-auto handgun, with an easily removable barrel, typically you'd
have to shoot tens of thousands of rounds to "wear out" a barrel. And
depending on the handgun, you can buy a new barrel for $100 to $200.

Plenty of work has been done on gun barrel coatings, by the way. Just
google the phrase.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:15:40 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

HK and others have made reference to worn out gun barrels. Why not
recondition them by plating the inside with electroless Nickel
followed by the electroless nickel Boron nitride alloy? This might
work best for shotguns without rifling but even rifled barrells might
work this way.
How deep is the rifling on a barrel?
How does a barrel wear out, does it actually get thinner or simply
develop cracks. I dunno a way to repair cracks.
You'd think someone may have tried this but I find no references to it
on google.

Sometimes you can bore the barrel out and rerifle and rechamber it.
Another possibility is to bore it out and install a rifled liner.These
services have been around for a century or more.

Casady

On Jan 1, 6:36*am, Boater wrote:
CalifBill wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

google the phrase.- Hide quoted text -

Or you could have it destroyed and give the ammo to the local police
department.

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:02:14 -0500, nada wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 1, 6:36 am, Boater wrote:
CalifBill wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Why would we want to destroy a firearm. It is just a tool. Evidently you
must posess a magic firearm with a evil mind and intent that makes you
live in fear.

He was referring to the "Bit of fun history" thread:

hkrause
Dec 30 1999, 3:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: 1999/12/30

Subject: OT: Y2K Shortage

"Jon V." wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 wrote:

I've got two crates of Federal .40 that accompanied the handgun I
received as a gift. You got a file?

Wow! Handguns as gifts... somebody knows you! Was it your wife, or her
father?

Maybe it was anonymous.

hkrause wrote:

Neither. It was a friend who has moved on to other hobbies. I haven't
disposed of the handgun yet. It's got a trigger lock on it, and it is
sitting in a locked case inside my safe. It is safe. My plan is to
destroy the handgun. I suppose the local cops could make use of the
ammo, once I get off my butt and do something about it.

--
Harry Krause

how to build a floating dock using 55 gallon barrells [email protected] General 11 March 27th 08 10:48 PM
Restoring canoes help. SJT UK Paddle 4 September 19th 05 09:43 PM
What are the impacts of a worn clutch dog? - 1983 Evinrude 9.9hp F499 General 4 May 27th 05 09:43 PM
Restoring rusted parts Roger Long Cruising 4 April 4th 05 12:01 PM
Is this worth restoring? Dee Jay Boat Building 5 March 27th 04 02:05 PM