Default Another diesel OB

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:35:52 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

i think they're operating cost comparison's are W-A-A-A-Y overboard.
("Overboard" pardon the pun)

For one thing, they're using gasoline and diesel at the same purchase
costs....

Yes but that's the least of it in my opinion. It is difficult, if
not impossible to build a reliable, high output, lightweight diesel.
If it were possible lots of other people would have done it by now.
High power to weight ratio is what outboards excel at - diesels, not
so much.

RLM RLM is offline

wrote:

i think they're operating cost comparison's are W-A-A-A-Y overboard.
("Overboard" pardon the pun)

For one thing, they're using gasoline and diesel at the same purchase
costs....

Yes but that's the least of it in my opinion. It is difficult, if
not impossible to build a reliable, high output, lightweight diesel.
If it were possible lots of other people would have done it by now.
High power to weight ratio is what outboards excel at - diesels, not
so much.

Nothing is impossible. You design the tool to do the job. This isn't going
to be every ones engine. E-Tech has that wrapped up. This is a diesel.
Things change!

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:48:24 -0500, RLM wrote:

Yes but that's the least of it in my opinion. It is difficult, if
not impossible to build a reliable, high output, lightweight diesel.
If it were possible lots of other people would have done it by now.
High power to weight ratio is what outboards excel at - diesels, not
so much.

Nothing is impossible. You design the tool to do the job. This isn't going
to be every ones engine. E-Tech has that wrapped up. This is a diesel.
Things change!

Some things don't change. By necessity diesels operate at higher
compression ratios which requires heavier cylinders and heads.
There's no way to save weight there without compromising durability.

RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 02:50:55 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:48:24 -0500, RLM wrote:

Yes but that's the least of it in my opinion. It is difficult, if
not impossible to build a reliable, high output, lightweight diesel.
If it were possible lots of other people would have done it by now.
High power to weight ratio is what outboards excel at - diesels, not
so much.

Nothing is impossible. You design the tool to do the job. This isn't
going to be every ones engine. E-Tech has that wrapped up. This is a
diesel. Things change!

Some things don't change. By necessity diesels operate at higher
compression ratios which requires heavier cylinders and heads. There's
no way to save weight there without compromising durability.

With alloys and liners no problem. The crank and rods is where the beef is
at.

Aluminum heads were used on some diesels in the sixties. Ask an Onan
dealer about DJB's and DJC's. Air and water cooled.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 04:23:57 -0500, RLM wrote:

With alloys and liners no problem. The crank and rods is where the beef is
at.

Aluminum heads were used on some diesels in the sixties. Ask an Onan
dealer about DJB's and DJC's. Air and water cooled.

And why is it they are no longer being made? Lack of durability
perhaps? If these were great engines they would have taken over the
market for lightweight diesels by now.

RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:56:35 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 04:23:57 -0500, RLM wrote:

With alloys and liners no problem. The crank and rods is where the beef
is at.

Aluminum heads were used on some diesels in the sixties. Ask an Onan
dealer about DJB's and DJC's. Air and water cooled.

And why is it they are no longer being made? Lack of durability
perhaps? If these were great engines they would have taken over the
market for lightweight diesels by now.

I don't know that they aren't still being made or replaced with a cheaper
engine from a vendor to stay competitive.

This was before Cummins bought them out. I've not kept track of Onan.
Onan didn't release all engine models for industral engine use. The most
common one you will see is probably the CCK style two cyl. opposed engine.
It has been updated and copied over the years so the model designation
changes. Same basic boxer design. Many engines were bought from vendors.

If you're really wanting to know, do the research and keep it to yourself.
These were some of the earlier examples.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:01:05 -0800, "CalifBill"
wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.php

Wonder how they would work on a triple engine Grady?

Terribly I suspect.

"Similar Performance to 175hp, 225hp or 300hp Gasoline Four-stroke
Engines (depending on power level)."

No thanks - if I wanted heavy four stroke ancient tech Yamaha's on the
back, I would have kept them on the boat. :)

TWO STROKES RULE!!!!

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:43:09 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:01:05 -0800, CalifBill wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.php

Wonder how they would work on a triple engine Grady?

To me, it doesn't seem that the advantages of a diesel translate well to
an outboard engine, especially a turbo diesel. Am I missing something?

Yes. It's just another pitiful attempt by the four stroke crowd to
salvage something out of their ancient technology in the face of
clearly superior two stroke, direct injected technology. Namely ETECs
which, as we all know, are the wave (get it wave?) of the future. :)

Sad isn't it?

wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.php

Wonder how they would work on a triple engine Grady?

Terribly I suspect.

"Similar Performance to 175hp, 225hp or 300hp Gasoline Four-stroke
Engines (depending on power level)."

No thanks - if I wanted heavy four stroke ancient tech Yamaha's on the
back, I would have kept them on the boat. :)

TWO STROKES RULE!!!!

Oh, boy...Tom got taken...again. :)

Tom Francis wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:43:09 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:01:05 -0800, CalifBill wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.php

Wonder how they would work on a triple engine Grady?

To me, it doesn't seem that the advantages of a diesel translate well to
an outboard engine, especially a turbo diesel. Am I missing something?

Yes. It's just another pitiful attempt by the four stroke crowd to
salvage something out of their ancient technology in the face of
clearly superior two stroke, direct injected technology. Namely ETECs
which, as we all know, are the wave (get it wave?) of the future. :)

Sad isn't it?

I think it is wonderful that you alone are helping eTec survive through
the first week of the New Year, and that you used the S&H Green Stamps
you got an an incentive to buy a new Olympus 4/3'ds camera. :)

Looking for a diesel launch or 24ft or smaller cc diesel Ratliff Logging and Management General 3 October 14th 10 04:38 AM
Eau de Diesel Frogwatch Cruising 9 February 10th 07 01:03 AM
Old diesel dave Boat Building 3 September 30th 03 09:59 PM
Which diesel stewart menday General 0 August 18th 03 08:23 AM