Thomas Altmeyer

Default 1978 mercury 402 problem

Hi,

the problem is, the motor won't start with throttle in idle
position with or without choke engaged.
If i move the lever further, the motor starts without problems
but logically with higher RPM.
Now i slowly pull the lever back down to idle position
and the motor stops.
I've checked the static timing settings (lever positions around carb),
static spark advance lever position and all seems ok.
I've checked too the dynamic timing with a strobe lamp and
it seem's ok too.
I've changed the diaphragma in the fuel pump and the carb needle valve,
but without success.
Then i've carefully and thorouhgly cleaned the carb, but without success
too :-(
Any thoughts????

Regards
Thomas Altmeyer

Germany
David Ward

"Thomas Altmeyer" wrote in message ...
: Hi,
:
[...]

I know nothing about your particularly system - so you might want
to stop reading right here...
Sounds like you've done all the mechanical checks - so now look
at the electrics:
Is the throttle rubbing through the coil wire?
Is there a neutral cutout switch between the key and the starter and
is it adjusted correctly? Is it broken/falling off/shorting somewhere?

At least, that's where I'd go now.
Dave

Gfretwell

The only thing I can think of that he missed is a leaking fuel pump diaphram.

Mercury 200 Classic problem ! Jon Harris General 1 August 11th 03 02:31 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Still Trouble Shooting 1982 Mercury V-6 Bob La Londe General 0 July 20th 03 03:33 AM
Trouble shooting Mercury 1882 150 V-8 Bob La Londe General 9 July 18th 03 11:26 PM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM