David Ward

Default 1978 mercury 402 problem

"Thomas Altmeyer" wrote in message ...
: Hi,
:
: the problem is, the motor won't start with throttle in idle
: position with or without choke engaged.
: If i move the lever further, the motor starts without problems
: but logically with higher RPM.
: Now i slowly pull the lever back down to idle position
: and the motor stops.
: I've checked the static timing settings (lever positions around carb),
: static spark advance lever position and all seems ok.
: I've checked too the dynamic timing with a strobe lamp and
: it seem's ok too.
: I've changed the diaphragma in the fuel pump and the carb needle valve,
: but without success.
: Then i've carefully and thorouhgly cleaned the carb, but without success
: too :-(
: Any thoughts????
:
: Regards
: Thomas Altmeyer
:
:
: Germany

I know nothing about your particularly system - so you might want
to stop reading right here...
Sounds like you've done all the mechanical checks - so now look
at the electrics:
Is the throttle rubbing through the coil wire?
Is there a neutral cutout switch between the key and the starter and
is it adjusted correctly? Is it broken/falling off/shorting somewhere?

At least, that's where I'd go now.
Dave