Default When Tom and Herring met......

Watch as Tom meets a unsuspecting Herring....blasting along in a
clappped-out Wellcraft, looking the other way....what else..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXGodVxeR4

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:15:28 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:55:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Watch as Tom meets a unsuspecting Herring....blasting along in a
clappped-out Wellcraft, looking the other way....what else..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXGodVxeR4

Clearly, the USCG was 98% at fault in that collision. I wonder what
those nitwits didn't get about COLREGS Rules 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and
8?????? Rules 15 and 16 are all that one would need for conviction in
a court of law.

Rule 15 -- Crossing Situation

When two power driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk
of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side
shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case
admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

Rule 16 -- Action by Give-way Vessel

Every vessel which is directed to keep out of the way of another
vessel shall, so far as possible, take early and substantial action to
keep well clear.

Incredible!

"The first I knew there was a boat there was when he hit me..."

You're right. Unreal.

I'm assuming your setup of the scenario was jocular. I'd expect Tom to be
more careful!
--
We say, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

John

On Dec 19, 12:15*pm, Gene wrote:
[...]

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1170

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*
-----------------

Slammer doesn't really care about cause and affect. He just wants to
be........slammer.

On Dec 19, 2:09*pm, Gene wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:41:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:15*pm, Gene wrote:
[...]

Maybe, but he did point out a real situation..... one that a lot of
people might mis-interpret.

While it is true that the crew of the stand-on vessel that was
capsized failed to maintain an adequate watch.

The coasties in the give-way vessel were guilty of violating about
every rule in the book!

"I didn't see him" would not, in the instance of the stand-on vessel,
be much of a weak position. The give-way vessel was required, by law,
to never put itself in a position of possible collision.

A review of the rules is never a bad idea.....http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...g/colregs.html
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1170

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*

I agree, rules are rules. There is also, in litigation and such a
thing called Last Clear Chance for auto accidents. I'd bet the same
for watercraft. It basically says that if you have a chance to avoid
an accident, whether it's your fault or the other persons, you must
take that action. Like if we were side by side on an interstate, you
came over in my lane, there was nothing on the other side of me to
prevent me from moving over to avoid the accident, and I didn't do it
just because you were in the wrong.

wrote in message

On Dec 19, 2:09 pm, Gene wrote:

Clearly, the USCG was 98% at fault in that collision. I wonder what
those nitwits didn't get about COLREGS Rules 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and
8?????? Rules 15 and 16 are all that one would need for conviction in
a court of law.

I agree, rules are rules. There is also, in litigation and such a
thing called Last Clear Chance for auto accidents. I'd bet the same
for watercraft. It basically says that if you have a chance to avoid
an accident, whether it's your fault or the other persons, you must
take that action. Like if we were side by side on an interstate, you
came over in my lane, there was nothing on the other side of me to
prevent me from moving over to avoid the accident, and I didn't do it
just because you were in the wrong.

--------------------------------

From what I could determine in the video, not only was the Coast Guard
captain in violation of COLREGS, he/she (gotta be careful now-a-days)
clearly did absolutely nothing to avoid a collision. Didn't even slow down,
even though the smaller boat was in sight and being watched. Unreal.

Eisboch

More Golfing with Herring and Tom [email protected] General 1 December 13th 08 01:36 PM
Say, Herring... Boater General 9 November 18th 08 09:04 PM
Ping: Herring John H. General 0 December 10th 05 02:18 PM
Ping: Herring John H. General 0 December 6th 05 09:01 PM
OT Herring [email protected] General 19 September 15th 05 06:05 PM