Default Gates of Kiev

After listening to Tacobell's music, it made me think about another
favorite selection of mine.

Turn the music up loud and get ready to be taken over by the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JjN...eature=related

Even if you don't like classical music, you will like this. Sort of like
the 1812 Overture. Make sure you listen to the slow repetitive build
up to the crescendo.

This song has particularly memories for me because I had a college gf
who liked to put on Pictures at an Exhibition when she would want to
"cuddle". She would insist we make it last to at least the Great Gates
of Kiev.

I am sure this falls into the Too Much Information category, but I
thought some of you may want to try this out.

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
After listening to Tacobell's music, it made me think about another
favorite selection of mine.

Turn the music up loud and get ready to be taken over by the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JjN...eature=related

Even if you don't like classical music, you will like this. Sort of like
the 1812 Overture. Make sure you listen to the slow repetitive build up
to the crescendo.

This song has particularly memories for me because I had a college gf who
liked to put on Pictures at an Exhibition when she would want to "cuddle".
She would insist we make it last to at least the Great Gates of Kiev.

I am sure this falls into the Too Much Information category, but I thought
some of you may want to try this out.

Thanks! I had never heard it or of it. I don't quite understand the
relationship of the Gates of Kiev orchestration and that of the 1812
Overture. They share many of the same passages. Who copied who?

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

The composers are both Russian, they are just very intense.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

PS - 1812 Overture was Tchaikovsky's tribute to the Russians defeating
Napoleon. Mussorgsky wrote "Pictures at an Exhibition" as a tribute to
a friends art collection, and was written well after the 1812. But I
only compared the two because of the intensity and great crescendo.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

There are some passages that are virtually identical in it and in the 1812.
They must be referenced or inspired by something else. It's interesting
and perfect for Martin-Logan SL3 electrostatics. These speakers really
shine in bright brass and acoustical music. Gives you goosebumps.

Eisboch

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:48:11 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
m...
[...]

For a spectacular version, get the Telarc CD. Wow!

http://tinyurl.com/5tevez

Just don't break anything.
--
John

On Dec 11, 7:35*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:
After listening to Tacobell's music, it made me think about another
favorite selection of mine.

Turn the music up loud and get ready to be taken over by the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JjN...eature=related

Even if you don't like classical music, you will like this. Sort of like
the 1812 Overture. * Make sure you listen to the slow repetitive build
up to the crescendo.

This song has particularly memories for me because I had a college gf
who liked to put on Pictures at an Exhibition when she would want to
"cuddle". *She would insist we make it last to at least the Great Gates
of Kiev.

I am sure this falls into the Too Much Information category, but I
thought some of you may want to try this out.

Very good stuff! I really like the tympani (kettle drums). I played
them in high school orchestra. It isn't easy to be on pitch with them,
they are adjustable with a foot pedal, but you have to have a real ear
for pitch.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

There are many themes in Russian music that are based upon folk tunes,
are nationalistic and are used by numerous composers. There are also
tonal similarities in the pieces you brought up.

Pictures at an Exhibition was written by its composer for solo piano. As
such, it is among the most difficult to learn and play collection of
piano pieces in the repertoire. I don't much like the Ravel
orchestration. I find it heavy and overwrought.

The best recordings of the piece *as written* date back a few decades to
performances in the old Soviet Union by Russian piano superstars. This
modern young fellow ain't bad, though:

http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/piano.html

In fact, he's very good, and he is playing the piece *as written* by
Mussorgsky. It's best not to listen to solo piano music on super
high-tech speakers. They tend to be without...warmth.

John wrote:
[...]

I am not cultured enough to prefer Pictures at an Exhibition "as
written". I have always thought the piano version is nice, but
different, sort of "Pictures at an Exhibition Unplugged". Since the
music was written to be played at his friends art exhibit, it would have
been difficult to get an orchestra in the small gallery, so Mussorgsky
didn't have that option. If you look at Mussorgsky other compositions,
I would guess he would have enjoyed the heavy and overwrought
Orchestrated version. If there EVER was a piece of music that was HEAVY
and OVERWROUGHT, it is Night on Bald Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0GekZl7YA

I have enjoyed Night on Bald Music since I heard it in Disney's
Fantasia, and that when I thought it was written by Disney.

I am just a boorish uncouth type of guy who knows what he likes, and
would never know what music to listen to on high tech speakers and what
music to listen to on old regular speakers. On top of that you need to
about what decade the music was recorded,

I had no idea how difficult it is to be cultured and refined.