Default Gates of Kiev

After listening to Tacobell's music, it made me think about another
favorite selection of mine.

Turn the music up loud and get ready to be taken over by the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JjN...eature=related

Even if you don't like classical music, you will like this. Sort of like
the 1812 Overture. Make sure you listen to the slow repetitive build
up to the crescendo.

This song has particularly memories for me because I had a college gf
who liked to put on Pictures at an Exhibition when she would want to
"cuddle". She would insist we make it last to at least the Great Gates
of Kiev.

I am sure this falls into the Too Much Information category, but I
thought some of you may want to try this out.

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
After listening to Tacobell's music, it made me think about another
favorite selection of mine.

Turn the music up loud and get ready to be taken over by the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JjN...eature=related

Even if you don't like classical music, you will like this. Sort of like
the 1812 Overture. Make sure you listen to the slow repetitive build up
to the crescendo.

This song has particularly memories for me because I had a college gf who
liked to put on Pictures at an Exhibition when she would want to "cuddle".
She would insist we make it last to at least the Great Gates of Kiev.

I am sure this falls into the Too Much Information category, but I thought
some of you may want to try this out.

Thanks! I had never heard it or of it. I don't quite understand the
relationship of the Gates of Kiev orchestration and that of the 1812
Overture. They share many of the same passages. Who copied who?

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

The composers are both Russian, they are just very intense.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

PS - 1812 Overture was Tchaikovsky's tribute to the Russians defeating
Napoleon. Mussorgsky wrote "Pictures at an Exhibition" as a tribute to
a friends art collection, and was written well after the 1812. But I
only compared the two because of the intensity and great crescendo.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

There are some passages that are virtually identical in it and in the 1812.
They must be referenced or inspired by something else. It's interesting
and perfect for Martin-Logan SL3 electrostatics. These speakers really
shine in bright brass and acoustical music. Gives you goosebumps.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

There are many themes in Russian music that are based upon folk tunes,
are nationalistic and are used by numerous composers. There are also
tonal similarities in the pieces you brought up.

Pictures at an Exhibition was written by its composer for solo piano. As
such, it is among the most difficult to learn and play collection of
piano pieces in the repertoire. I don't much like the Ravel
orchestration. I find it heavy and overwrought.

The best recordings of the piece *as written* date back a few decades to
performances in the old Soviet Union by Russian piano superstars. This
modern young fellow ain't bad, though:

http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/piano.html

In fact, he's very good, and he is playing the piece *as written* by
Mussorgsky. It's best not to listen to solo piano music on super
high-tech speakers. They tend to be without...warmth.

"Boater" wrote in message

The best recordings of the piece *as written* date back a few decades to
performances in the old Soviet Union by Russian piano superstars. This
modern young fellow ain't bad, though:

http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/piano.html

In fact, he's very good, and he is playing the piece *as written* by
Mussorgsky. It's best not to listen to solo piano music on super high-tech
speakers. They tend to be without...warmth.

I like it.

Now, getting back to earth he

For years I've enjoyed a hobby of creating musical performances using "midi"
technology.
Midi is not an audio recording like an MP3 or WAV file. It's simply a set
of digital instructions or "events"
in a file that instructs a midi device or sound engine to play a certain
note, with a certain velocity, with a certain "voice", etc. I've mentioned
before that midi backing tracks are often used in live band performances,
establishing a concert's musical performance sets. Enough about that.

After struggling with inexpensive keyboards and computer programs over the
years for composing and sequencing midi files, I recently purchased a more
professional level keyboard. It's not simply a keyboard. It's referred to
as a keyboard "arranger" and it is designed for both live performances, plus
doing orchestrations or arrangements of music to be stored for future use.
It's a Korg Pa50 which is not Korg's top of the line, but it uses Korg's top
of the line Titan processors. In fact, it actually has two processing
sequencers that can be run simultaneously, taking a lot of the time and
headaches out of getting a finished product.

But wait. I am not done yet.

We also have a Samick Grand Piano that we purchased several years ago. It's
not a digital piano. It's a 7' acoustic Grand, but when we bought it, we
had a system called a QRS Pianomation installed in it.

http://www.qrsmusic.com/pianomation.asp

The piano may be played normally, but you can also play proprietary, premade
QRS files through the Pianomation system that mechanically "plays" the piano
very similarly to the old player pianos that used paper rolls. The piano
keys are actually played like the old player pianos. It's wild to watch.

The QRS system replaces the paper rolls with digital data on a CD and feeds
it to the mechanical drives that operate the piano's keys, hammers, sustain
pedals, etc. It's pretty cool. The only problem with ours was that the
QRS file format, although very similar in concept to MIDI, is a different
format and .mid files will not play.
(I understand that the newer Pianomation systems will also recognize MIDI
files as well as QRS files, but ours does not)

Recently however, I found a simple and free program that converts MIDI to
QRS. It turns out that they are very similar, the difference being that
MIDI is all digital whereas QRS is, for lack of a better way of expressing
it, a type of analog/digital format. It operates digitally, but by using
analog tone shifts.
Whatever it is, it works.

So, now I can arrange performances on the Korg, store in standard midi, then
convert to QRS and play through the grand piano. The sound is that of the
acoustic piano in all it's glory. No amplifiers or speakers involved.

The beauty of these files is that they are very small, being just digital
instructions.
A recent 20 minute Christmas medley arranged on the Korg is only 77KB. I
can convert it to an MP3 or WAV file, but it would be over 100MB in size.

It may bore you to death, but here's the file. I put it together for Mrs.E.
because she loves hearing the piano playing in the house. It will play
through your computer's midi engine. Hopefully, you have a decent set of
speakers hooked up to your computer to get the best quality sound. But, you
have to imagine the same thing being played on a grand, acoustic piano that
does not depend on a sound card, engine or speakers to generate the tonal
quality. It sounds real, because it *is* real.

http://www.eisboch.com/chrismasmed08.mid

Eisboch

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:30:03 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

These speakers really
shine in bright brass and acoustical music. Gives you goosebumps.

If you liked that, I recommend you get the whole work:

http://tinyurl.com/57q9xx

It has always been one of my classical favorites.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:13:53 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:30:03 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

These speakers really
shine in bright brass and acoustical music. Gives you goosebumps.

If you liked that, I recommend you get the whole work:

http://tinyurl.com/57q9xx

It has always been one of my classical favorites.

This is one of my classical favorites as performed by The Turtle
Mountain Naval Base Tactical Wind Ensemble and Marching Band.

"March of The Cute Little Wood Sprites" by S. Onesy Twosy.

http://www.swsports.org/Music/Track%2022%20%5b1%5d.mp3