Default Guest trolling motor charger...

I've been trying to get some specs on this unit - seems like a really
good way to charge trolling motor batteries on long runs spot-to-spot
on a large lake or on runs from spot-to-spot inshore.

http://tinyurl.com/564jl4

I can't seem to find anything that gives the specifics on how this
works. I'm speculating here, but I would assume that it works to
charge the trolling motor batteries once the main battery system is
charged. I'm guessing that is must work on an interrupted basis -
meaning that once the starter battery is charged, it switches to
charging the 24 volt system.

Here's the thing - how?

If I were designing this, I would make it so the engine would have to
be running above idle and the charger producing more than the nominal
13.6 volts needed to run the engine. That would mean that each battery
in the 24 volt system would need to be charged a little at a time -
like say a minute for one, a minute for two - back and forth until the
batteries were charged.

That's the way I would do it, but there are other ways. I just can't
find out how it works.

Anybody have experience with these things?
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 25, 6:59*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
[...]

Tom, I'm not really sure without seeing one, but I believe this is a
small transformer and rectifier pack, that allows you to charge 24v
and run 12v accessories. Delco and Leece-neville have been doing this
for years on heavy equipment.

One set of black/red wires ould go to 12v and the other black and red
would go to a 24v bank. one red would probably go to key switch, and
other red go to alternator charge wire.

Not sure, but thats how I see it.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
[...]

Not sure, but thats how I see it.- Hide quoted text -

Correction. Black/red 24, blk/red 12, blk/red keyswitch and engine
ground.

or something like that.

wrote:
[...]

I re-read the specs on the Guest unit Tom is referring to. It specifically
says, 2 outputs of 12volts DC, 10 amps each. But then it says for "24"
volt systems. That is confusing.

Eisboch

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:58:19 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I re-read the specs on the Guest unit Tom is referring to. It specifically
says, 2 outputs of 12volts DC, 10 amps each. But then it says for "24"
volt systems. That is confusing.

Yes.

There are two possibilities that I can think of. The first assumes a
12 volt starting battery *and* a 12 volt trolling battery. In that
case it would merely function as a combiner once the starting battery
is fully charged. Combiners have been around for a while and are
just an automated switch with voltage sensing.

The second possibility assumes a 12 volt starting battery but a 24
volt trolling batt. In that case it would have to contain a DC to DC
converter which would activate once the starting batt was at full
voltage. If you already own a 24 volt charger this function could be
implemented by driving it with a 12 volt inverter.

I'd call Guest and get a clarification. On the other hand my
impression of most Guest products is not all that favorable.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:35:00 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

[...]

Well, this has been an interesting discussion - thanks Tim, Eisboch,
Gene and Wayne.

I think I'm going to take Wayne's advice and call Guest about how this
actually works. I'm begining to think that there is a voltage
component to this coming from the charger.

FYI - when I referred to 24 volt system, it's two batteries in series
to power the 24 volt trolling motor.

Thanks for all the replies.

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Except for the fact that it connects directly to the alternator, it doesn't
sound any different in operation than a typical multi-output charger. I
assume by a "24" volt system, you are referring to two, 12 volt batteries.

Multiple output chargers (120vac powered) are used all the time, in both old
fashioned ferro-resonant types and the newer "smart charger" types. The
Navigator had both. It had a three output charger for the engine(s) and
house (also used for the genset) plus a 2 output smart charger for the two
smaller, thruster batteries.

The outputs were completely independent of each other, just like having a
dedicated charger for each battery.

You may be thinking of a battery isolator/charge controller. These
typically operate by comparing the voltage of each battery and, if the
difference exceeds a certain amount, it directs the charge voltage/current
to the lesser of the two. I think.

Eisboch

Tim Tim is offline

messagenews:g2tni49ohd7vdre7jde6gej94rfqlun3iv@4ax .com...

[...]

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

OR, once can charge 2-12v batteries independantly, even though hooked
together in series. and the more I think about it this is probably
what's happening.

red/black one battery, red/black other battery, red, black 20a
breaker to alternator output, and black to engine ground.

Oddly, that if you have two batteries hooked together in series you
will get 24v, but you can still pull 12v from one battery. however you
can still have a 24v flow of current through both batteries, but the
one 12v that yoyu are pulling current from will drain independantly.

Seems strange, but that's how it is.

SO, I figure they are using a 12v source to charge both 12v batteries
independantly, even though the batteries are tied together in series,
you'll still have a 24v system.

I can see how the system charging would work, but if you spend a good
day of trolling, you might be stuck with a low start battery.

then you're screwed.

"Tim" wrote in message

OR, once can charge 2-12v batteries independantly, even though hooked
together in series. and the more I think about it this is probably
what's happening.

red/black one battery, red/black other battery, red, black 20a
breaker to alternator output, and black to engine ground.

I think you're right. *That* makes sense and explains the "For 24v
systems" statement.

Eisboch

Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 25, 12:23*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

OR, once can charge 2-12v batteries independantly, even though hooked
together in series. and the more I think about it this is probably
what's happening.

red/black one battery, red/black other battery, *red, black 20a
breaker to alternator output, and black to engine ground.

I think you're right. * *That* makes sense and explains the "For 24v
systems" *statement.

Eisboch

just being able to post when I can, but i think it goes even further
than that. I believe that the mfj, is talking about more than just a
24v system. Like 3 batteries. One main or engine battery, and two
seperate hooked into series.

Super easy to hook up. one set of blk/red leads goes to the main
battery seeing it is already enforced by the charging system, while
the other two sets go to the respective batteries in the 24v series.
Therefore you have current going to your 12v main as well as your
series set. So when your trolling motor batteries get low, you still
have an engine battery that is uneffected by drain.

Pretty simple, actually.

need help with trolling motor kc5uko Electronics 3 May 25th 05 04:42 AM
Electric motor- not trolling motor Capt. Matt General 3 February 24th 04 02:43 AM
trolling motor lybarra General 2 December 24th 03 04:06 PM
trolling motor lybarra General 1 December 23rd 03 12:05 PM
Is it ok to run a 24 volt trolling motor on a 12 volt battery to test the motor to see if it actually runs? SDNomad General 5 October 9th 03 07:30 PM