Tim Tim is offline

Default Battling the Antivirus -2009

This bug is evil! somehow it got downloaded on my computer withought
my knowledge. I'm no geek so I don't know what all it does, but
anyting you click on a search engine link, you get an automatic re-
direct to ad popups, so you have to cut and paste a link into the
browser and then you *might* get to where you're wanting to go. That
is IF it will load at all. Spybot, Ad-ware, Mal-ware,... From what I
gather, all leading anti-bug software companies have been caught off
guard by this thing and don't have much to fight it off....yet. Oh,
and another thing, is that if you try to run good anti-virus, it will
block them. you have no access to updates, and trying to get them to
run is usless. Also if one tries to back your system up with a reverse
start up date, well, you can't do that either. These jerks have pretty
well thought of everything.

Only recourse I had was to take it to the local geek and reload
windows.

Could Mac be the answer? EH, they'll probably get those too.

But my oldest son says Linux....

I'm not too old of a dog to learn new tricks, but is a change over
really that necessary?

BTW, me box is full of bugs, and still at the geeks, so I'm using my
dads old dial up windows 98. Works pretty good if all you want to do
is gawk around and make an occasional post.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 19, 6:44*am, Tim wrote:
[...]

Another thing I found out is that it will bog your system down to
where navigation jsut doesn't work well, so when you reboot your
computer it jsut re installs itself into other programs untill you
just about can't re boot your computer at all.

bummuh!

My mother got this. Malwarebytes cleaned it up.

You have to be careful that you are always using the clean up product. The
virus pops up windows when you are running the real clean up software and
these windows look like they are part of the clean up. Use your task bar at
the bottom to bring the real clean up software back to the front of the
screen. Ecerytime you click on it more junk will get started up or
downloaded to your computer. You may have to be patient as the rest of your
computer will be running slow because of the virus using up cpu.

When I walked my mother through malwarebytes over the phone it cleaned it
all up. I had to stop her from clicking on the virus windows a couple times
though.

In real bad cases you will have to right click on the task bar and open task
manager. Go to the processes tab, sort by cpu, and look for the virus
processes. They are usually obvious and consuming cpu. Kill a few of them
and then you will get enough cpu back to run your clean up software.

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

is gawk around and make an occasional post.- Hide quoted text -

I tired that. and I ran Mal-ware,a nd it helped, but it seemed I only
got one shot at the deal. Rebooted and tried to run it again, and
evidently it and AVG were selaed off. I could run lavasoft, but I
haden't updated it in a while and it ran but didn't show any results.

This bug be wierd! Evident;y when it gets killed it's already
sprouted seeds in other places that normaly can't be very well
detected.

Hijack this! didnt' show anything out of the norm either.

Tim wrote:
[...]

You need to set up and use reliable anti-malware software. It usually is
contained in the anti-vi/ security suites.

The schittheads who develop and launch these damned spyware, virus and
other obnoxious problems have concentrated on Windows machines because
they have by far been the biggest target of opportunity. But that
doesn't mean MAC machines are ignored...they just don't get as much
attention from the schitthead.

I'm running Windows VISTA and MAC 10.5 and I run Windows XP Pro on my
MAC, too, when necessary. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably
go with the new MACs. I've "adjusted" to using a MAC. On the surface, it
is fairly easy to learn, but it does a lot of things completely
differently than you are used to doing them on a Windows machine. If I
sell off my Windows VISTA machine, which I do like a lot, I probably
will buy an iMAC.

Tim wrote:
[...]

What antivirus software are you running and are the virus signatures up
to date? With the marketing programs of McAfee and Norton there is no
excuse for not having the latest versions. If you watch the specials
you can have the current version on three computers for $20 or less per
year. Each has an automatic update that keeps them current with no user
input. Not much if you consider the time and frustration of removing a
virus
Jim Jim is offline

Tim wrote:
[...]

Gmail caught it in their spam filters I think. I don't know if that's
how it is transmitted, but I did see it in the subject line of an email.

On Nov 19, 7:44*am, Tim wrote:
This bug is evil! *somehow it got downloaded on my computer withought
my knowledge. I'm no geek so I don't know what all it does,

you might look up a program called 'hijack this':

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.html

but make sure you read the instructions at the website before you
delete anything on your computer. i had the same problem caused by a
latvian (yes, a latvian) browser hijacker.

when the program at the 'hijack this' website was loaded, it told me
everything that was in my registry. the latvians had labeled their pop
ups with the name of the website it keep redirecting me to so i found
it in the registry and deleted it...

problem solved.

but make sure you check the instructions!!
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 19, 7:55*am, wf3h wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:44*am, Tim wrote:

This bug is evil! *somehow it got downloaded on my computer withought
my knowledge. I'm no geek so I don't know what all it does,

you might look up a program called 'hijack this':

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...-10227353.html

but make sure you read the instructions at the website before you
delete anything on your computer. i had the same problem caused by a
latvian (yes, a latvian) browser hijacker.

when the program at the 'hijack this' website was loaded, it told me
everything that was in my registry. the latvians had labeled their pop
ups with the name of the website it keep redirecting me to so i *found
it in the registry and deleted it...

problem solved.

but make sure you check the instructions!!

I've used HT before with good success, and yes, you must be careful,
but after examining closly I couldn't find anything with it.

That bug must have been inbedded well. But then again, I confessI'm no
geek.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 19, 7:17*am, Keith nuttle wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

virus- Hide quoted text -

Kieth, it blocked off McAffee and Norton both.

believe me, I tried.