Default Battling the Antivirus -2009

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:19:47 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I've used HT before with good success, and yes, you must be careful,
but after examining closly I couldn't find anything with it.

That bug must have been inbedded well. But then again, I confessI'm no
geek.

I'm a geek, but still got tired of cleaning this crap up when it got
in.
Now I just restore from an image when it happens.
Can't remember the last time I got a virus since I've been using the
free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG.
You might want to look into imaging software, which basically
lets you restore to before you got a virus. It's cheap insurance.
It takes a little thought and effort to set it up properly, and make
an image now and then. but once you do it you never have to worry
about reinstalling Windows again.

--Vic
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 19, 11:14*am, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:44:30 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

BTW, me box is full of bugs, and still at the geeks, *so I'm using my
dads old dial up windows 98. * Works pretty good if all you want to do
is gawk around and make an occasional post.

I am still running W/98 and there is not much I can't do.

No complaints with 98, but I'm on dial up..

thats a pain.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I've used HT before with good success, and yes, you must be careful,
but after examining closly I couldn't find anything with it.

That bug must have been inbedded well. But then again, I confessI'm no
geek.

I'm a geek, but still got tired of cleaning this crap up when it got
in.
Now I just restore from an image when it happens.
Can't remember the last time I got a virus since I've been using the
free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG.
You might want to look into imaging software, which basically
lets you restore to before you got a virus. *It's cheap insurance.
It takes a little thought and effort to set it up properly, and make
an image now and then. but once you do it you never have to worry
about reinstalling Windows again.

--Vic

Vic, my geek is going to work with image. He recommended that as well.

Tim wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:17 am, Keith nuttle wrote:
Tim wrote:
This bug is evil! somehow it got downloaded on my computer withought
my knowledge. I'm no geek so I don't know what all it does, but
anyting you click on a search engine link, you get an automatic re-
direct to ad popups, so you have to cut and paste a link into the
browser and then you *might* get to where you're wanting to go. That
is IF it will load at all. Spybot, Ad-ware, Mal-ware,... From what I
gather, all leading anti-bug software companies have been caught off
guard by this thing and don't have much to fight it off....yet. Oh,
and another thing, is that if you try to run good anti-virus, it will
block them. you have no access to updates, and trying to get them to
run is usless. Also if one tries to back your system up with a reverse
start up date, well, you can't do that either. These jerks have pretty
well thought of everything.
Only recourse I had was to take it to the local geek and reload
windows.
Could Mac be the answer? EH, they'll probably get those too.
But my oldest son says Linux....
I'm not too old of a dog to learn new tricks, but is a change over
really that necessary?
BTW, me box is full of bugs, and still at the geeks, so I'm using my
dads old dial up windows 98. Works pretty good if all you want to do
is gawk around and make an occasional post.

What antivirus software are you running and are the virus signatures up
to date? With the marketing programs of McAfee and Norton there is no
excuse for not having the latest versions. If you watch the specials
you can have the current version on three computers for $20 or less per
year. Each has an automatic update that keeps them current with no user
input. Not much if you consider the time and frustration of removing a
virus- Hide quoted text -

Kieth, it blocked off McAffee and Norton both.

believe me, I tried

You can remove it manually. Remove some entries from the registry and
remove the directory it installed itself in. Takes about a couple of
minutes and a reboot.