Default Species Krausii Liesallthetime Marylandus sighted!

A knowledgeable birder had a brief sighting of the species today in
Gambrills, Maryland. Positive ID was made by a combination of the
dull coloration, excessive wing flapping and puffing plus loud,
obnoxious squawking. The sighting is being reported to the Maryland
Avian Society.

On Nov 18, 4:21*pm, GC Boater wrote:
A knowledgeable birder had a brief sighting of the species today in
Gambrills, Maryland. *Positive ID was made by a combination of the
dull coloration, excessive wing flapping and puffing plus loud,
obnoxious squawking. *The sighting is being reported to the Maryland
Avian Society.

Officials from the U.S. Wildlife Service working with members of the
Eastern American Ornithological Society are attempting to determine if
the bird is a true waterfowl species. Thus far, the only confirmed
sightings have been along the shorelines where, from the safety of
land, the Krausii Marylandus squawks incessantly at the true waterfowl
species. Since Tuesday’s sighting, experienced birders are rushing to
Gambrills, Maryland in an effort to gather additional data on the
reclusive species. Story developing. Updates to follow.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:11:11 -0800 (PST), GC Boater
wrote:

[...]

It's getting to be a pain driving in Maryland. People lining the roads to
catch a glimpse of the Krauseii Liesall...

http://www.marinaudubon.org/images/bwatchers01.jpg

One watcher said he spotted Tom the Shortwave trying to get a picture of
the species, but Tom left too soon to be photographed. The watcher was able
to produce a good likeness with a pencil:

http://tinyurl.com/6mottt

Hell, I heard that some guy from Cleveland was planning to drive all the
way to Gambrils to line the shore and pray for a glimpse. He was lacking
only the appropriate attire, but was able to order some:

http://tinyurl.com/68jjpu

Lots of excitement. The squawking is a dead giveaway!
--
John H.

wrote:

[...]

Within the last hour, Richard Tracey, Director of the U.S. Wildlife
Service issued the following statement:

“We have researched the little known history of the species Krausii
Liesallthetime Marylandus. In years past there have been reported
sightings of the Krausii in such distance places as Cape Horn, San
Francisco, Hawaii, the Panama Canal and New York Harbor. However, we
have been unable to corroborate these reports, and the veracity of the
person making these claims has been called into question. Most
experts now discount these claims and believe the Krausii’s natural
range is limited to Maryland. Yesterday’s sighting was in suburban
Gambrills, Maryland.

“We are continuing to research the Krausii, which is made more
difficult by the mutations that have been observed within the
species. The bird seems to have the ability to mutate almost at will,
which is a rare trait in the ornithological world.

“Our experts are continuing to gather data which will be disseminated
as available. In the meantime, we urge birders to report any
sightings to the Wildlife Service, but exercise caution when
approaching the bird.”

wrote:

[...]

I think this is going to be bigger than anyone could have realized. I don't
know if you've seen this yet, but it's surely a forerunner of things to
come:

From "The Huffington Post", November 19 (http://tinyurl.com/69mm79)

"In fact, the President loves birds so much, that he recently expressed
deep and sincere concern for the plight of our nations migratory bird
population. While visiting a wildlife research refuge in Maryland, Bush
said, "I've come to discuss a strategy to enhance those habitats, without
which many birds could become severely challenged."

I've heard it said that the K. Liesall.. is *already* severely challenged.
--
John H.

From "The Huffington Post", November 19 (http://tinyurl.com/69mm79)

"In fact, the President loves birds so much, that he recently expressed
deep and sincere concern for the plight of our nations migratory bird
population. While visiting a wildlife research refuge in Maryland, Bush
said, "I've come to discuss a strategy to enhance those habitats, without
which many birds could become severely challenged."

I've heard it said that the K. Liesall.. is *already* severely challenged..
--
John H.- Hide quoted text -

ANOTHER SIGHTING!

The Associated Press is reporting another sighting of the elusive
species, Krausii Liesallthetime Marylandus, this morning in Gambrills,
Maryland. The exact location of the sighting has not been revealed,
but is believed to be near yesterday’s stunning find of the species in
suburban Gambrills. Conjecture is that it may be the same bird.

The bird was reported to be engaging in what ornithologists term
neurotic behavior. He was chewing off his claws with his oversized
beak, stopping only occasionally to squawk loudly. The bird continued
chewing his claws until only nubs remained on his short fat toes.

Such neurotic behavior is sometimes observed in caged birds, but had
never before been observed in the wild.

Story developing. More reports to follow.

On Nov 19, 7:11*am, GC Boater wrote:
[...]

I've heard that the species loud squawks are mostly a false call
because of it's jealousy of other species.
Jim Jim is offline

GC Boater wrote:
On Nov 18, 4:21 pm, GC Boater wrote:
A knowledgeable birder had a brief sighting of the species today in
Gambrills, Maryland. Positive ID was made by a combination of the
dull coloration, excessive wing flapping and puffing plus loud,
obnoxious squawking. The sighting is being reported to the Maryland
Avian Society.

Officials from the U.S. Wildlife Service working with members of the
Eastern American Ornithological Society are attempting to determine if
the bird is a true waterfowl species. Thus far, the only confirmed
sightings have been along the shorelines where, from the safety of
land, the Krausii Marylandus squawks incessantly at the true waterfowl
species. Since Tuesday’s sighting, experienced birders are rushing to
Gambrills, Maryland in an effort to gather additional data on the
reclusive species. Story developing. Updates to follow.

There has been another confirmed nesting in Calvert County. It has a
huge 6'2" wingspan. It's deification has become a real nuisance. Efforts
are underway to capture this bird and relocate it to Costa Rica or
Argentina where it will be in more natural surroundings for the species.

On Nov 19, 8:05*am, Jim wrote:
GC Boater wrote:
[...]

Argentina where it will be in more natural surroundings for the species.- Hide quoted text -

NEWS FLASH: SAFETY WARNING!

Richard Tracy, head of the U.S. Wildlife Service, has issued an urgent
safety warning for the State of Maryland. In the warning, Tracey
said:

“After the neurotic behavior observed this morning (gnawing off of
toenails) of the species Krausii Liesallthetime Marylandus, we feel it
is prudent to issue a warning. Neurotic birds often exhibit
unpredictable behavior and can turn nasty when confronted. We urge
all persons in the natural range of this species to exercise caution
when encountering the bird. Also, the public should keep in mind that
we don’t yet know what kind of diseases the species may carry.”

Story developing. More reports to follow.