Default End of the line?

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...

Let GM die - fertilizer for smaller, leaner and better companies to
suceed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Did I ever tell you about my hollow cathode plasma energy generator?

(seriously)

I stumbled across this many years ago purely by serendipity, doing some
experiments in a vacuum chamber.
It converted electrical energy into heat at about 100 times (or more) the
efficiency of conventional electric or fossil fueled heat generators.

I always wanted to go back and follow up on it. For example, I think it
could be used to heat a house very economically. Sorta like a mini
nuclear power generator without the nuclear reaction.

Eisboch

A precursor to the flux capacitor?

Beats me. It works though and I have test measurements to back it up.

A "plasma" is not completely understood by the scientific community,
although it happens all around us.
The visible flash of a lightning bolt or the light emitted from a
fluorescent bulb are plasmas.

Many consider it a completely unique state of matter and when applied in
certain hardware configurations can do some strange things.

Anyway, I have to think about this some more.

Eisboch

Well, you are way, way over my head on this one. I did build a working
cloud chamber in the 7th grade and can tell you precisely how to build
one now. But a plasma energy generator? My first thought would be a
device vampires could use to regenerate energy in tired blood. :)

Jim Jim is offline

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:58:49 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Although it would be disastrous for the employees and suppliers for GM to
fold, I also can't see why the taxpayers should spend good money after bad.
The only way I personally could support a general bailout would be if it
were tied to a very specific and aggressive business plan laid out by GM
that would cut costs, simplify operations and overhead and otherwise provide
believable proof that the bailout money would not simply extend their
existence for a while longer while business goes on as usual. GM had the
opportunity to address their problems and have done very little to save
themselves. Their problems did not originate with September's market
meltdown.

Well, there you have it. That's the problem.

However, the problem is that that is the problem. They've had time to
do this and refused. For various reasons, but simply, refused.

There is another way to look at this. While certain companies are too
big to fail, the opposite is also true - companies can be too big to
succeed.

GM is a case study in being too big to succeed.

My own feeling is that let 'em go. Do the pre-pack, restructure to a
smaller, leaner, less expensive operation, drop a number of lines that
make no sense (like Hummer) and start competing again as a more
efficient and cost effective company.

GM going under will give Ford some breathing space and possibly
Chrysler.

You also have to look at something else - this represents a good
opportunity for small businesses to pick up the slack. For other
ideas about fueling transportation needs to come up for air and be
seen and evaluated. It's not all going to be in the hands of GM -
opportunities of a smaller world in terms of manufacturing actually
make for a larger world if only because now the ogre is gone - other
people, other ideas, other methods.

You know, all you have to do is look back at the history of the heavy
construction and farming equipment manufacturing business - hell, even
the heavy machine tool business. Too big to fail? International?
Allis Chalmers? McCormick? Heald Machine Tool? They all made lousy
bets and they are all gone. Once the monsters were out of the way,
the smaller companies like Deere and Cat and Case could innovate and
take over.

And they are still around.

Again, too big to fail also equals too big to succeed.

Let GM die - fertilizer for smaller, leaner and better companies to
suceed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Very nicely put. Now we need a progressive leader to lead us out of this
free falling downward spiral. We need some honest innovative
government. The last thing we need is an idealistic, self centered, ruler.
Wake up America.

"Boater" wrote in message

Well, you are way, way over my head on this one. I did build a working
cloud chamber in the 7th grade and can tell you precisely how to build one
now. But a plasma energy generator? My first thought would be a device
vampires could use to regenerate energy in tired blood. :)

Ahem .... ummmm..... not to toot my horn, but I actually have a couple of
patents on the device, used for another application.

It works. Problem is ... I don't.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Boater" wrote in message

Well, you are way, way over my head on this one. I did build a working
cloud chamber in the 7th grade and can tell you precisely how to build
one now. But a plasma energy generator? My first thought would be a
device vampires could use to regenerate energy in tired blood. :)

Ahem .... ummmm..... not to toot my horn, but I actually have a couple of
patents on the device, used for another application.

It works. Problem is ... I don't.

Eisboch

addendum...

I had forgotten about this thing for years. Although I had sorta day
dreamed about other applications, like home heating, I was too busy trying
to make a living to pursue it. Plus, the time wasn't right. Energy was
cheap and even if I had the financial where-with-all at the time to develop
it, it probably wouldn't catch anybody's attention.

But ... things have changed. I'll have to go dig out the old notebooks and
re-visit it.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

Well, you are way, way over my head on this one. I did build a working
cloud chamber in the 7th grade and can tell you precisely how to build one
now. But a plasma energy generator? My first thought would be a device
vampires could use to regenerate energy in tired blood. :)

Ahem .... ummmm..... not to toot my horn, but I actually have a couple of
patents on the device, used for another application.

It works. Problem is ... I don't.

Eisboch

Well, get to work. We don't need any more software pussies or guys who
develop weirdo financial instruments. We need product that requires
people to build it.

About two months ago, I met with the CEO of a client and he was being
buried alive in resumes from $600,000 to multi-million dollar guys who
had lost their financial sector jobs and wanted to come work for him, at
salaries resembling those they had lost. This is a guy who runs a very
profitable $10 billion closed trust that is, in fact, having its most
profitable year.

"We don't pay anyone here, including me, that kind of money," he said.

Right on.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:00:46 GMT, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

[...]

I've heard nothing of any attempts by the UAW to help GM with the problems.
Do the members not care what happens to their jobs? Hell, I'd be doing some
heavy talking, unless I knew GM was faking it.

I liked your story.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:24:42 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Beats me. It works though and I have test measurements to back it up.

A "plasma" is not completely understood by the scientific community,
although it happens all around us.
The visible flash of a lightning bolt or the light emitted from a
fluorescent bulb are plasmas.

Many consider it a completely unique state of matter and when applied in
certain hardware configurations can do some strange things.

Anyway, I have to think about this some more.

Be careful here. The laws of physics and mathematics preclude the
possibility of generating more than 3413 BTU/hr per kilowatt. The
only exception is if heat is moved from one place to another in the
process, for example, a heat pump.

Jim Jim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...

Let GM die - fertilizer for smaller, leaner and better companies to
suceed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Did I ever tell you about my hollow cathode plasma energy generator?

(seriously)

I stumbled across this many years ago purely by serendipity, doing some
experiments in a vacuum chamber.
It converted electrical energy into heat at about 100 times (or more) the
efficiency of conventional electric or fossil fueled heat generators.

I always wanted to go back and follow up on it. For example, I think it
could be used to heat a house very economically. Sorta like a mini nuclear
power generator without the nuclear reaction.

Eisboch

Now you need to work on converting heat into electrical energy with a
resultant gain. I know you can do it. ;-)

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Boater" wrote in message

[...]

If you can come up with a way to heat homes more efficiently, come on up
here. I'm sure the different Federal and Provincial development agencies
would have money to invest if you do the work in Canada.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:00:46 +0000, Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

My own feeling is that let 'em go. Do the pre-pack, restructure to a
smaller, leaner, less expensive operation, drop a number of lines that
make no sense (like Hummer) and start competing again as a more
efficient and cost effective company.

GM deserves to go down, but ... We are now spending $1 trillion to put
liquidity *and* confidence back in our markets. What does letting GM go
down do to that confidence? I don't see a choice. I don't like it, but
I think we have to do something to help GM.

What's My Line? Capt. Rob ASA 9 August 14th 06 04:20 PM
Pro-Line Boats George Morstatt Cruising 0 April 20th 06 07:26 PM
Line by line debunking of latest BuSh attack ad..... JimH General 16 October 24th 04 05:06 PM
FS: Anchor Line in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 April 16th 04 04:09 AM