Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default End of the line?

"Boater" wrote in message

Eisboch wrote:

I wish I knew how to help. I don't mean helping by just supporting any
particular leader or program. I mean actively *help*.

Eisboch

What would help is for those who hold white collar jobs to control their
disdain for blue collar factory workers and their desire to earn a decent,
middle-class income for themselves and their families, and along with that
income, quality health care, a safe job, and a reasonable pension. The sad
thing is that the "disdainful" are one generation from blue collars
themselves.

That's a subjective issue that means different things to different people.
You are more tuned into it, most likely because of your involvement with
labor unions. I've worked for about 5 companies before starting my own.
Three were "blue collar" jobs. The ones that came later were management
and/or engineering level jobs. I never experienced any "disdain" for
anyone, blue or white collar, unless the person just happened to be a
complete jerk. One employer had the over-all "haves" and "have-nots"
attitude but he was universal in his contempt for anyone not as rich and
powerful as he. (He was the prime modivation for me to start a similar
business and guess what? I won. He went belly-up.)

I'd also try to figure out a way to "cap" upper echelon executive pay and
perks. It is just plain disgusting there are execs pulling down multiples
of millions of dollars a year while they lay off their workforces. There
is no need for those sorts of paychecks.

The only way to influence that is to tax the crap out of income that exceeds
a certain amount.
Even then, I am not sure I agree with it, but not on a moral grounds. It's
because I just don't think it's a good idea for government to control one's
personal income opportunities. Too close to what I saw in China years ago.

I'm hoping for a huge investment in rebuilding our infrastructure...roads,
bridges, airports, treatment plants, power generation plants, light rail,
et cetera. Nothing puts Americans back to work faster and at better paying
jobs than heavy construction and all the ancillary industries that support
it, white and blue collar.

Yep, I agree. That's exactly what is needed. Now, how do we convince all
the people who got their cookie-cutter computer science or finance degrees
that they should put them in the closet and go learn how to build bridges
and nuclear powerplants?

Eisboch