posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Receiving NMEA data from B&G Fastnet2 tot Simrad NX40 plotter

Dear,

On our boat we have a complete B&G h1000 network included with the
CND1000 plotter.
Last year the CND1000 plotter becames defective and was not able to
repair anymore.
To find an alternative, we choose for the Simrad NX40 plotter.
The plotter has also a GPS receiving antenna which is communicating
through Simnet with the Simrad plotter.
To be able to receive/transmit the data on the plotter from/to the B&G
Fastnet, i have connected both networks to eachother via the B&G NMEA
universal interface box with the Simrad AT10 universal converter.

The problem is: only GPS signal goes from Simnet to B&G´s Fastnet and
only ´heading´ from B&G comes to Simnet and is visible on the Simrad
NX40 screen.

Depth, boatspeed, windspeed and winddirection are not visible on the
NX40. I´ve checked on the settings in the B&G h1000 system and all
this parameters are on if i checked on NMEA OUT settings.

What can be the problem? Is this a software setting in B&G or an NMEA
sentence in the B&G that must be changed?

If somebody can help me with this problem, you can mail me to:

Best Regards.

Bart Tanghe
posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Your new Simrad Plotter probably expects a later NMEA version (e.g.3.01)
than what is output by the B&G system (v2.1?)
If you connect the 2 via a Brookhouse NMEA multiplexer, the NMEA sentences
can be modified to make them compatible. This is done by a simple script
which is uploaded to the mux. Brookhouse has scripts readily available for
many sentence-adaptions.
It pays to verify the nmea versions first and ideally to capture the B&G
output with a (laptop) computer so that it can be analysed.
Wout