posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default VHF/Hailer/Fog Horn Suggestions

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:00:13 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I've been trying to decide where to mount the hailer. I had wanted to
mount it just above by foredeck light, but after looking at the dimensions,
I don't want to have my tape-drive jib swinging past a 9"+ protrusion on a
regular basis, even if there is a guard.

So, I was thinking of mounting the hailer just above the jib box. I have a
7/8 rig. A person who used to commission Freedoms commented that he was
afriad that this was too high. I would have thought that the higher, the
better as the sound would carry further. Any thoughts?

=======================

What about hanging it under a mast spreader or mounted on the forward
tip of the bow pulpit?
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

I've been trying to decide where to mount the hailer. I had wanted to
mount it just above by foredeck light, but after looking at the
dimensions, I don't want to have my tape-drive jib swinging past a 9"+
protrusion on a regular basis, even if there is a guard.

So, I was thinking of mounting the hailer just above the jib box. I
have a 7/8 rig. A person who used to commission Freedoms commented
that he was afriad that this was too high. I would have thought that
the higher, the better as the sound would carry further. Any
thoughts?

=======================

What about hanging it under a mast spreader or mounted on the forward
tip of the bow pulpit?

I don't have spreaders. I have a carbon fiber mast. The bow pulpit was
suggested by someone else, but I'm just worried about having it washed away
in big seas. On a fairly regular basis the bow gets buried.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Have you considered mounting the speaker on the KISS pole or the radar pole?

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Have you considered mounting the speaker on the KISS pole or on the radar
pole?

sv Endeavor
"Road Rage!" wrote in message

"Bil" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 3:12 am, Hanz Schmidt wrote:
I had a S.H. The cable came a part on the Remote Mic. H.S. told me that
I put the remote in the SUN. And the cable had know UV in it. They told
me to my another mic. ... So I buy and ICOM M-602.

Just goes to show how mileage varies!

The cable on my Standard Horizon remote mic also fell apart due to UV
exposure.

I e-mailed SH tech support and they dispatched a new remote mic to me,
across to the W side of the Pacific, for free!

Cheers

Bil

It might pay to wipe down all plastic with a UV protectant such as armor
all.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

The radar arch is a possibility, but the major reason for having this is
for a fog horn and having the hailer right above my head seems very noisy.
Everything on a boat is a compromise though...

"sv Endeavor" wrote in
: