posted to rec.boats.electronics,sci.geo.satellite-nav
msg msg is offline

Default Si-Tex/Koden GPS-5 Interface (part deux)

Greetings:

Does anyone have connector and command-set data for the Si-Tex
GPS-5? Here is the text of an email I sent to Si-Tex tech support
to which I received the curt answer: obsolete, no support. This
response is somewhat unexpected considering that I was able to
obtain a service manual for a much more elderly Koden Loran rcvr
from them a few years ago.

I have built an RS-232 interface for the GPS-5, using pins 4 and 5 of
the 8-pin circular connector as data-out to drive an optoisolator.
I know that pin 1 is +DC in and pin 2 is GND.

Are pins 7 and 8 a data-in connection and if so, what commands does
the GPS-5 accept?

What are the functions of pins 3 and 6 (single-ended lines only)?

The antenna BNC connector shows about +5.2 VDC on the center conductor;
can most any active GPS antenna (amplified, not down converted) be
used with this unit? If not, what are the specs of the antenna?

All replies appreciated.

Michael