posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Land use of marine radios

"John Anderson" wrote in news:fo2cuh$v7v$1
@news.netins.net:

A local Marine towing outfit in Ft Madison, IA uses Channel 11
for their trucks running around town, or at least they did when
I worked down there.

I guess this is the new Citizens' Band ?

I knew someone in the pest control business in Greenville, SC, way up in
the mountains where the band is truly dead. He ran the pest control
business with Standard VHF marine radios for many years.

I can tell you this because they're all dead, now....

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"John Anderson" wrote in news:fo2d8d$vgh$1
@news.netins.net:

Oh, well, keeps them off the 10 meter ham bands!
A few years ago I heard outbanders on 28.085
griping about people throwing carriers, but the "carriers"
were hams on code transmission. With the tight bandwidth
of cw receivers, the hams were probaly not even aware of
the interlopers!

All hams have to do is force the stupid ARRL goats to change the 10M
bandplan to stop it all. Reserve the bottom 500Khz 28.0-28.5 for
REPEATER outputs on NBFM...and reserve the top 500 Khz 29.2-29.7 for
REPEATER INPUTS away from the CBer equipment. Powerhouse FM repeater
outputs would easily keep the bottom end of 10M clear of SSB CBers, and
we'd have GREAT FM repeater fun on the mostly-dead 10 meter band.
There's plenty of room IN THE MIDDLE of 10M, away from the CB pirates,
for the simplex stuff...CW, SSB, etc.

Of course, stoic CW operators moving above the bottom 20 Khz of the band
would simply have a heart attack over such a LOGICAL move....

10M FM repeaters are loads of fun, especially when the band is open!
29.620 repeater in Puerto Rico had great coverage over the whole East
Coast and Caribbean for years.

Sadly, Robert KD4PBC, who is a paging engineer by trade and was a paging
company owner for years, here, THREW A PERFECTLY GOOD QUINTRON 500 WATT
10M REPEATER INTO THE DUMPSTER, all crystalled up with hi stability
precision oscillators and all in mint condition. Noone would put it on
the air and he didn't have time. Very sad...pathetically so....

73 DE LARRY W4CSC Charleston, SC.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

They use Channel 68 or 69 in my area.
Truckers have been heard on Ch. 71, and 19a

Looks like they are using Marine Channels according to
the FCC rules!

Not necessarily - they could be using assigned land mobile frequencies
that happen to be close enough to those marine channels that they can
be heard on a standard marine radio. As I said, you'd have to check
to see if the FCC has any land mobile allocations close to those
marine channels for use in your area.

They are using marine radios on marine channels.
A ham friend of mine has talked to them.
They are arguing that they don't need licenses,
and indeed, if the FCC does not have the money or
manpower to go after them, then this activity, like the
mess on CB will become legal by default!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"John Anderson" wrote:

A local Marine towing outfit in Ft Madison, IA uses Channel 11
for their trucks running around town, or at least they did when
I worked down there.

There is another possible answer to the above situation. There IS
a Part 80 Classification of a Portable or Mobile Land Based Marine
VHF Station. It is called a Marine Utility Coast Station when on
Land and a Marine Utility Station when used on water. These are not
easy to acquire, but they do exist and I have held both at one time or
another. I have friends in the Marine Electronics Sales and Service
bizz, that have these and have had them for years. Also Ship Pilots
use these type Marine Licenses, for Portables, they use to communicate
with the Pilot Boats, Ships, and Tugs.

Bruce in alaska

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"John Anderson" wrote:

A local Marine towing outfit in Ft Madison, IA uses Channel 11
for their trucks running around town, or at least they did when
I worked down there.

There is another possible answer to the above situation. There IS
a Part 80 Classification of a Portable or Mobile Land Based Marine
VHF Station. It is called a Marine Utility Coast Station when on
Land and a Marine Utility Station when used on water. These are not
easy to acquire, but they do exist and I have held both at one time or
another. I have friends in the Marine Electronics Sales and Service
bizz, that have these and have had them for years. Also Ship Pilots
use these type Marine Licenses, for Portables, they use to communicate
with the Pilot Boats, Ships, and Tugs.

These coyote hunters have admitted to using Marine radios,
no mistake about it. They would be legal if they were in
jon boats instead of pickup trucks. But a Ford pickup truck
does not meet that description!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Feb 1, 7:01*am, "John Anderson" wrote:
In my area, Lee County, IA, we have coyote hunters using
marine channel 68. In Hancock County IL a similiar use of
marine channel 69 is occurring.

It has also been noted that truckers are using Marine ch 71
and ch. 19A in the Ft Madison IA area.

Indeed. In the deserts east of southern California, Marine VHF
radios are becoming commonplace amongst the off-road vehicles crowd.
One club in Palm Springs actually *requires* them in order to join.
They jump frequencies and never say anything that would identify
themselves, so they know it's not legal.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
msg msg is offline

Larry wrote:

snip

Sadly, Robert KD4PBC, who is a paging engineer by trade and was a paging
company owner for years, here, THREW A PERFECTLY GOOD QUINTRON 500 WATT
10M REPEATER INTO THE DUMPSTER, all crystalled up with hi stability
precision oscillators and all in mint condition. Noone would put it on
the air and he didn't have time. Very sad...pathetically so....

Why on earth would anyone do this except out of some emotional disturbance?
Goodwill, Hamfests, donations, and even eBay are all easy alternatives.

Michael
posted to rec.boats.electronics

msg wrote in
:

Larry wrote:

snip

Sadly, Robert KD4PBC, who is a paging engineer by trade and was a
paging company owner for years, here, THREW A PERFECTLY GOOD QUINTRON
500 WATT 10M REPEATER INTO THE DUMPSTER, all crystalled up with hi
stability precision oscillators and all in mint condition. Noone
would put it on the air and he didn't have time. Very
sad...pathetically so....

Why on earth would anyone do this except out of some emotional
disturbance? Goodwill, Hamfests, donations, and even eBay are all easy
alternatives.

Michael

Hurried move to start new job. He had to move a whole business very
quickly and abandoned lots of stuff.

Marine Radios Eisboch General 4 November 19th 04 11:34 PM
Marine Radios Bob Electronics 13 August 7th 04 11:28 AM
Boss marine radios Tamaroak General 1 July 26th 04 12:19 AM
Boss marine radios Tamaroak Cruising 1 July 26th 04 12:19 AM
Boss marine radios Tamaroak Electronics 1 July 26th 04 12:19 AM