Eisboch

Default Marine Radios

The GB that (we) are buying has, in addition to two standard VHF radios, an
Icom SSB transceiver with automatic antenna tuning system. I asked the
previous owner about license requirements and he admitted that he never
bothered ... he just used it. I noticed that he had some call numbers near
the radio, but I don't know if they were real or not.

Does anyone know what the current FCC requirements are for the use of this
radio? I don't know any of the specifications yet in terms of power or
frequency ranges, but I assume it's basically a HAM radio rig.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:56:49 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

The GB that (we) are buying has, in addition to two standard VHF radios, an
Icom SSB transceiver with automatic antenna tuning system. I asked the
previous owner about license requirements and he admitted that he never
bothered ... he just used it. I noticed that he had some call numbers near
the radio, but I don't know if they were real or not.

Does anyone know what the current FCC requirements are for the use of this
radio? I don't know any of the specifications yet in terms of power or
frequency ranges, but I assume it's basically a HAM radio rig.

In a sense, yes. Rather than write it all out, here's a couple of
links.

http://windom.cybox.com/ssb.html

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/mp.html

Later,

Tom
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

The GB that (we) are buying has, in addition to two standard VHF radios, an
Icom SSB transceiver with automatic antenna tuning system. I asked the
previous owner about license requirements and he admitted that he never
bothered ... he just used it. I noticed that he had some call numbers near
the radio, but I don't know if they were real or not.

Does anyone know what the current FCC requirements are for the use of this
radio? I don't know any of the specifications yet in terms of power or
frequency ranges, but I assume it's basically a HAM radio rig.

In a sense, yes. Rather than write it all out, here's a couple of
links.

http://windom.cybox.com/ssb.html

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/mp.html

And the proper subsection that I forgot to add. D'OH!!!

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

My bad.

Later,

Tom
Wayne.B

wrote:

I assume it's basically a HAM radio rig.

================================

Not really although you could probably get it to work on ham
frequencies with a little fiddling. Marine SSBs are designed for
channelized operation on the approved ITU frequecies. It it turns out
to be an ICOM M-802, there is a way to change the mode settings and
make it behave very much like a ham rig with continuously variable
tuning.

Here's a web site with good info on getting licensed:

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/ne...license-steps/

Eisboch

wrote:

I assume it's basically a HAM radio rig.

================================

Not really although you could probably get it to work on ham
frequencies with a little fiddling. Marine SSBs are designed for
channelized operation on the approved ITU frequecies. It it turns out
to be an ICOM M-802, there is a way to change the mode settings and
make it behave very much like a ham rig with continuously variable
tuning.

Here's a web site with good info on getting licensed:

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/ne...license-steps/

Thanks, both Wayne and Tom. I'll go do some reading.

Eisboch

Boss marine radios Tamaroak Electronics 1 July 26th 04 12:19 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM