posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default TDS Meter Source

I'm in the process of building a new control panel for my watermaker.
While I'm at it I want to replace the kludged Total Disolved Solids (TDS)
meter setup that I have. Right now I have a portable TDS meter stick that
is epoxied into a block of aluminum that I milled out with a cavity for the
meter probes and threaded holes for the in/out water.

When I checking the meter, I saw that it had some water intrusion, probably
from water working up through the prongs in the base of the tester. I also
have no way to clean the probes, so I'm looking for a better solution.

Does anyone have a source for a (panel mountable) TDS meter that's either
12V or battery powered?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

For an R/O system you want something with a sensitivity to reliably know
when you get below 200 ppm. Hanna makes a series of TDS meters that you can
find at many aquarium supply sites. The HI9833318 is a $185 high range
panel mount meter. With an HI7634-00 probe remote sensor it has a range
from 1 to 2,000 ppm. You can set the relay to trip at any level and it is
sensitive enough for R/O purposes and it comes in 120VAC or 12VDC. I think
the probe is 3/4 NPT so you will probably have to add an adapter to your
product line.

When I was building my system I found the older 983319 in an aquarium supply
site. Talked to the Hanna engineers who recommended the 120V model over the
12V model because voltage fluctuations could cause reading errors. The
983318 is the new model and even if they haven't figured out the voltage
errors it would be a simple matter to put a $20 buck/boost regulator on the
supply line.

Since I put up a picture of my panel on the web site I have seen several of
the pro systems add the same model.

BTW, for a really nice looking panel check out
http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/. High quality reasonably priced
professional looking custom aluminum panels and free software to design it
with. Delivery in 2 weeks or less.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Hanna series.

I had book-marked the Front Panel Express site quite a while ago (probably
from a posting from you) and have been using their software to lay out the
panel. I was quite amazed at the low cost. I just need to fill in a few
more components such as the TDS display.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Where do you find a $20 buck/boost regulator??

Hanz

Geoff Schultz wrote:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:

[...]

Glenn,

I was just looking at your site and was looking at the RO control panel
schematic. One thing that I didn't understand was that it appears that the
fresh water flush tees into the brine water supply line to the pump. How
do you adjust the water pressure so that you're not feeding 800 PSI RO
water to the membranes? I've been told not to run the pressure above 200
PSI when flushing with non-brine water as it will over drive the membrane.

Also, when the solenoid is open, won't you potentially end up with fresh
water back flowing through the pre-filters and out through the seacock? I
suppose that just flushes the pre-filters.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

That is handled by the 3 way solenoids and the control circuit. When you
hit the backwash button the pressure relief solenoid opens the product side
to waste bypassing the regulator and the backwash solenoid to the intake and
fresh water supply line. House system pressure circulates fresh water
through the membranes for 1 minute with the HP pump running then the HP pump
shuts down and, after 5 seconds to avoid any water hammer effect, the
relief solenoid closes. This forces fresh water back through the
pre-filters for 15 or 20 seconds.

I am estimating about 5 gallons of fresh water for one cycle. Once I see how
it is working I may eliminate the pre-filter backwash from the cycle. I am
afraid it will just push gunk back and forth between filters and strainer
unless I use a lot more fresh water. Probably better to just leave them
alone until the vacuum switch turns on indicating that the filters need
changing/washing.

BTW, disregard that control circuit. It will work but since that one was
built I figured out how to program microprocessors and eliminated 90% of the
chips and all but 2 relays. I can also adjust all the parameters in
software without changing resistor and capacitor values. It works great on
the bench but will probably require some tweaking once in use.

[...]

Check out the model radio control sites.

The Hanna meters work on less than 100ma so a very small regulator is all
that is needed. I have a pair of miniature switching regulators on my kite
photography rig. One puts out 150ma at 12V for the video down link and the
other 250ma at 5V for the R/C receiver from an 11.1V Li-Po battery. I think
I paid $30 for the pair and they weigh a total of 18 grams.

--

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote in message
Where do you find a $20 buck/boost regulator??

Hanz

Geoff Schultz wrote:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:
[...]

Thanks for the explaination. I personally don't want any electronic
controls on a watermaker. From 7 years of experience with on my own 2+
watermakers and others, they're only a source of problems. I happy
manually turning valves and sticking with the KISS principle. I also
believe that you need to observe the unit while its starting up and
shutting down. 800 PSI has a way of causing problems.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Electronic Amp Meter stefanhanoi Electronics 5 April 26th 09 10:24 AM
TDS Meter Source Geoff Schultz Cruising 7 January 21st 08 09:03 PM
6V Meter on 12V Floating Mind Electronics 5 March 16th 07 10:04 PM
Flow meter Franz Eckert Electronics 34 September 2nd 05 04:54 AM
fuel meter dcg Electronics 0 April 16th 04 05:20 PM