posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Extrenal Wifi Antenna

I started this dialog, so I will give you all an update. I purchased An
Eoc-3220 EXT:

http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/...ory.aspx?id=17

My decision was bases on specifications. I have now established
communications with the device, it took a null modem adapter and a gender
changer to do this. Un fortunately I no longer had these in my junk pile.

Stay tuned for my efforts to get on line.

My goal is to get an antenna high enough to clear a boat house or other
obstruction to receive Wi-Fi. I have some confidence that this device will
do what I want it to do.

Funny thing though is I am not a fan of MS Windows, and miss MS Dos, but
plug and play has some real benefits now that I am just a user. It has been
humbling.

Pat Harman

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Patrick Harman" wrote in news:8NmdnTaRYey-
:

Pat Harman

I gave up with all this nonsense and bought unlimited EVDO from Alltel
for my SELLphone for $25/mo. It gets around 800Kbps, most of the time,
and ALWAYS connects if the SELLphone can make a call.

By the time you buy all this extra wifi equipment and go through the
frustration of making it to that crappy wifi installation in the marina
office, $25/mo is cheap.

My connection is a MotoROKR Z6M Bluetooth-enabled tiny SELLphone on
Alltel's 800 Mhz B system in SC using Bluetooth DUN profile to a Nokia
N800 Linux internet tablet...or...Gateway laptop with a Bluetooth USB
dongle stuck in the side of it.

Bluetooth will communicate on 2400 Mhz for about 50', on a boat, so to
extend the range of the SELLphone just drop the phone into a Ziplock bag
and haul it up on a flag halyard to the spreaders and you'll get another
5 miles range from standing on the deck. The Bluetooth radio makes it up
the spreaders just fine...

For the ICW travelers, there is FREEWARE mapping and satellite photo
software for the Nokia N800/N810 Linux tablets, complements of the Linux
genius hackers. It's called Maemo Mapper and looks like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=698iql3B824
Call it Google Earth in your pocket.

It updates the satellite squares via the BT phone internet quite nicely
on the road or on the ICW. You can also load the tablet's memory cards
before you leave and don't need to download on-the-fly.

Larry
--
As the price of Monopoly money rises, at some point it will equal
Federal Reserve Private Bank fake banknotes in value!
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:12:49 +0000, Larry wrote in
:

"Patrick Harman" wrote in news:8NmdnTaRYey-
:

Pat Harman

I gave up with all this nonsense and bought unlimited EVDO from Alltel
for my SELLphone for $25/mo. It gets around 800Kbps, most of the time,
and ALWAYS connects if the SELLphone can make a call.

I likewise use 3G cellphone when appropriate, AT&T HSDPA in my case,
comparable speeds, but there are times when Wi-Fi is the better option:
* Out of the country
* Weak cellular signal
--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:49:15 -0800, "Patrick Harman"
wrote:

My decision was bases on specifications. I have now established
communications with the device, it took a null modem adapter and a gender
changer to do this. Un fortunately I no longer had these in my junk pile.

You shouldn't need that unless you have "bricked" the device and need
a reset to factory settings. Otherwise you should be able to do
everything via the ethernet connection and a web browser.

External Wifi Antenna Patrick Harman Electronics 23 January 15th 08 01:10 AM
WiFi again. capt.bill11 Electronics 32 February 5th 07 04:46 PM
wifi set up - what antenna do I use? [email protected] Cruising 6 September 10th 05 05:58 PM
wifi antenna help [email protected] General 2 September 10th 05 04:05 AM
WiFi - Wireless Booster Antenna Mic Electronics 0 July 13th 05 12:50 PM