posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default 30 footer: which radar/GPS plotter/sonar?

Which radar/GPS plotter and possibly sonar and autopilot would you
recommend for a 30 footer (motor boat) and why?
Over here one seems to get decent support for Furuno, Simrad and
possibly Raymarine.
Planning to use it in tight waters, so resolution of the radar as well
as easy operation (eg radar/gps overlay) are important criteria, as well
as reliability and longvity. It would serve for navigation, not fishing.
Having most of it on one display would ease installation (not too much
space left).

I have been looking at eg (10"-12" color LCD)
Simrad CX44-E and 4' slot antenna
Furuno 1834C and 2' radom antenna
Raymarine E-series?

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

Marc Heusser wrote:
Which radar/GPS plotter and possibly sonar and autopilot would you
recommend for a 30 footer (motor boat) and why?
Over here

Marc,

Bad news. Switzerland is landlocked.

If you insist, I'd get the electronics best supported.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

We've owned our 52' sailboat for 21 years. My personal choice is
Furuno. My radar, my GPS, my WFAX, my VHF - they're never quit - never
need service - in 21 years - and we've cruised full time for 14 years.
The only other gear we have to match that is the WH autopilot.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:39:14 +0200, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

Which radar/GPS plotter and possibly sonar and autopilot would you
recommend for a 30 footer (motor boat) and why?
Over here one seems to get decent support for Furuno, Simrad and
possibly Raymarine.
Planning to use it in tight waters, so resolution of the radar as well
as easy operation (eg radar/gps overlay) are important criteria, as well
as reliability and longvity. It would serve for navigation, not fishing.
Having most of it on one display would ease installation (not too much
space left).

I have been looking at eg (10"-12" color LCD)
Simrad CX44-E and 4' slot antenna
Furuno 1834C and 2' radom antenna
Raymarine E-series?

TIA

Marc

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Bad news. Switzerland is landlocked.

Yes - but not that badly, we have rivers flowing eastwards to the Black
Sea, northwards to the North Sea as well as southwards to the
Mediterranian Sea plus assorted channels :-)
Anyway our lakes tend to be rather crowded at times and heavy
thunderstorms are quite common.

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Marc Heusser wrote:
In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Bad news. Switzerland is landlocked.

Yes - but not that badly, we have rivers flowing eastwards to the Black
Sea, northwards to the North Sea as well as southwards to the
Mediterranian Sea plus assorted channels :-)
Anyway our lakes tend to be rather crowded at times and heavy
thunderstorms are quite common.

There are lakes in Switzerland so large that you can't see shore? I
stand corrected.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Marc Heusser alid
wrote in :

Which radar/GPS plotter and possibly sonar and autopilot would you
recommend for a 30 footer (motor boat) and why?
Over here one seems to get decent support for Furuno, Simrad and
possibly Raymarine.
Planning to use it in tight waters, so resolution of the radar as well
as easy operation (eg radar/gps overlay) are important criteria, as

well
as reliability and longvity. It would serve for navigation, not

fishing.
Having most of it on one display would ease installation (not too much
space left).

I have been looking at eg (10"-12" color LCD)
Simrad CX44-E and 4' slot antenna
Furuno 1834C and 2' radom antenna
Raymarine E-series?

TIA

Marc

Marc, go to the nearest commercial fleet of any kind of boats, tugboats,
fishing boats, barge boats. See what they're using. Ask them how well
it works and how easy it is to get service/parts for.

I like Furuno in your list. a 4' antenna is awfully big for a 30' boat.

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Paul Cassel wrote in
:

There are lakes in Switzerland so large that you can't see shore?

And, oh so beautiful if you can. I have an old friend who's 84. Werner
is from Thun in Berner Oberland. The Lake of Thun is truly a beautiful
place.

http://www.thunersee.ch/en/sports-in...tml?no_cache=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gma98UF3DHI
http://not-so-swiss-miss.blogspot.co...thunersee.html
http://www.swiss-sail.ch/
http://www.interlaken.ch/erlebnisse/...segeln.html?L=
3
http://www.girls.ch/
OH, wait! Belay that last one....(c;

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Marc Heusser wrote:
In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Bad news. Switzerland is landlocked.

Yes - but not that badly, we have rivers flowing eastwards to the Black
Sea, northwards to the North Sea as well as southwards to the
Mediterranian Sea plus assorted channels :-)
Anyway our lakes tend to be rather crowded at times and heavy
thunderstorms are quite common.

There are lakes in Switzerland so large that you can't see shore? I stand
corrected.

Lake Geneva is at least 30 miles long and maybe 15-20 wide. A fog and you
could get very lost. But the lakes are in beautiful settings.

Paul Cassel wrote:

There are lakes in Switzerland so large that you can't see shore? I
stand corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Geneva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lucerne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Constance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_waterways
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine_River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhône_River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube

We also have some strong winds quite frequently -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn

As for GPS of course you do not get lost usually - it is rather smaller
boats without anchor lights at night that bother you. And rocks below
the surface.

I had no idea of competing :-)

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

30 footer: which radar/GPS plotter/sonar? Marc Heusser General 13 June 29th 07 04:50 AM
30 footer: which radar/GPS plotter/sonar? Marc Heusser Cruising 13 June 29th 07 04:50 AM
A good looking 35 footer rgnmstr ASA 21 December 17th 05 05:51 PM
Q: Replace rigging on a 27 footer? Chris Cruising 16 June 16th 05 02:30 AM
Q: Replace rigging on a 27 footer? Chris Boat Building 2 June 14th 05 06:21 AM