Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len Len is offline

Default gauge fogging

Any thoughts on why a Uniden QT206 digital depth display fogs up to
the point of being unreadable? Has anyone else experienced this?

When the weather is warm and the cabin is open (twice this season, so
far, here in the Puget Sound area), the unit has cleared up and works
well. But as soon as there is any temperature difference between
inside and outside, the unit fogs to the point where it is completely
unreadable, and will eventually fail to operate.

I replaced the first unit with a second after calling Uniden and being
told the unit was defective and would be repaired. But the next one
did exactly the same thing. Originally purchased based on the
strength of a Practical Sailor review ('03, I believe).

I only need a digital depth meter, not anything more fancy. The shoot-
through-the-hull option of the QT206 was also attractive for my solid
glass hull sailboat.

In a followup e-mail to Uniden, I was told basically "sorry it doesn't
work. Get your money back from your retailer." They didn't offer to
repair the new 2 1/8" hole in my boat, however.

This can't be an entirely isolated incident. Has anyone had success
sealing a gauge from the back (this one sticks into the galley
cabinet) to defeat what appears to be a design deficiency?

Thanks,
Leonard
s/v "Meeresstille"

FUEL GAUGE WIRES sonofadocker General 1 June 1st 07 01:46 PM
Depth Gauge problems sledneck97 General 1 September 20th 06 03:13 AM
Vacuum Gauge for Gasoline Fuel Filter Recommended? And How? [email protected] General 4 June 11th 06 08:42 PM
Fuel gauge problem with 4winns MGrant0606 General 5 July 28th 04 05:08 PM
Hardin Volt Gauge wiring problem fiddler Cruising 6 February 13th 04 02:55 AM