Default Vacuum Gauge for Gasoline Fuel Filter Recommended? And How?

I would like to know if this is recommended to add a vacuum gauge to
the outlet side of a fuel filter. I come across an article about
installing a vacuum gauge to check if the fuel filter is clogged or
not. This sounds good. But the vacuum gauge that is being sold in
place like West Marine or Boater World is supposed to be for diesel
only. This makes me wonder if this device is only good for boats that
have diesel engine and is not very useful for gasoline outboards. Any
idea about whether this device is good for gasoline outboard motor?
Thanks.

Where can I find a vacuum gauge that is suitable for a gasoline
outboard motor? What kind of fittings do I need? Do I need a
T-fitting? Should it be mounted with the whole thing exposed or should
it be mounted flushed with the surface of a panel or something? Thanks
in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

James

Gas is much more dangerous than diesel so having extra lines running around
that can potettially fill with gas or gas vapors is a bad idea. Pour a
little diesel fuel on the ground and you'll need to work a little to light
it with a match. Pour a little gas on the ground and it's go up before you
even get the match all the way to it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If I understand you correctly, the vacuum gauge may fill with gas
vapors and become a fire hazard. I see. That may explain the reason
why the vacuum gauge seems to be marketed for diesel fuel users.
Thanks.

I read an article in a web site somewhere saying that the fuel
injection tip for diesel is very sensitive to fuel quality; therefore,
diesel users need to use fuel filters to clean the diesel fuel very
good. I "guess" that may be the reason why they want to use a vacuum
gauge to make sure the fuel filters are still working fine and cleaning
the diesel fuel as what they are supposed to do. Actually, I am not
sure if I am guessing this right or not. I am just trying to
understand.

Anyway, seem like a vacuum gauge is not an important item for gasoline
outboard motor and is something that I can do away with. Great! This
means I have one fewer item to worry about. Moreover, I am having a
hard time to figure out where to place a vacuum gauge into my boat (a
small boat and a lot of stuffs); I can barely find a spot for the fuel
filter/water separator anyway. Now, I don't need a vacuum gauge and my
problem is solved.

Jay Chan

James wrote:
Gas is much more dangerous than diesel so having extra lines running around
that can potettially fill with gas or gas vapors is a bad idea. Pour a
little diesel fuel on the ground and you'll need to work a little to light
it with a match. Pour a little gas on the ground and it's go up before you
even get the match all the way to it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

jamesgangnc

You are correct that diesel injectors are affected by stuff in the fuel
more than a carburated gas engine is. Diesel fuel also has more
trouble with contaminants. Boats that use diesel fuel are usually
bigger with bigger fuel tanks and have more opportunity for the
contaminants to accumulate. Diesel powered boats tend to range a lot
farther and a more likely to have to use "questionable" diesel fuel at
remote ports. So filters are a much bigger deal for the diesel boat
owner. For your outboard a single filter changed once a year should be
ample protection if you get fuel at reputable gas stations and marinas.

James wrote:
Gas is much more dangerous than diesel so having extra lines running around
that can potettially fill with gas or gas vapors is a bad idea. Pour a
little diesel fuel on the ground and you'll need to work a little to light
it with a match. Pour a little gas on the ground and it's go up before you
even get the match all the way to it.

oups.com...