posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default gauge fogging

Richard Lane wrote:
snip
Jack,
The JRC radar display has two GoreTex patches over breather holes which
keep out liquid water but I am sure permit passage of water vapor laden
air. I only mount the display on the binnacle if I anticipate needing
radar.
Dick
Nonsuch 26, Swoose

Interesting concept. I'm not sure if that can work or not. I find a
web site that explains GoreTex:

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...Frameset/index

and it has two statements that sort of contradict each other:

"The microporous structure of the GORE-TEX® membrane is what makes
GORE-TEX® fabrics completely waterproof. Each microscopic pore is about
20,000 times smaller than a drop of water, which means no external
moisture - from rain to snow to that puddle you just stepped in - can
penetrate the membrane."

"What makes GORE-TEX® products so breathable? The pores in the GORE-TEX®
membrane are 700 times bigger than a water vapor molecule, so
perspiration can easily evaporate through and you can stay dry from the
inside out. Breathability is an important component of comfort when you
are active."

So as I understand that description, drops of water can not get in but
molecules of water vapor from moisture laden air could be drawn in as
the unit cooled. So you still would have the same issues, no?

As an aside, I helped move a Hatteras 50 motor yacht from Florida to
Maryland a few years ago. It was named Swoose in memory of a B-17
bomber that had been named after a WW II-era song "Alexander The
Swoose." More details about it he

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...oeing_b17d.htm

Jack