posted to rec.boats.electronics
bob bob is offline

Default NMEA 2000

I am installing a new instrument system consisting of NMEA 2000
devices. Looking for others who have done this.

bob wrote:
I am installing a new instrument system consisting of NMEA 2000
devices. Looking for others who have done this.

Do you have any specific questions?

On May 1, 5:26 pm, rabidgoldfish wrote:
bob wrote:
I am installing a new instrument system consisting of NMEA 2000
devices. Looking for others who have done this.

Do you have any specific questions?

Yes.
I have Maretron N2K system hooked up to my laptop and everything works
but the autopilot output signal from my navigation software. It seems
that the Cap'n only outputs certain sentences none of which can be
read by the Maretron USB to N2K adaptor.

bob wrote:
I am installing a new instrument system consisting of NMEA 2000
devices. Looking for others who have done this.

Do you have any specific questions?

Yes.
I have Maretron N2K system hooked up to my laptop and everything works
but the autopilot output signal from my navigation software. It seems
that the Cap'n only outputs certain sentences none of which can be
read by the Maretron USB to N2K adaptor.

Bob,

A couple of questions to help clarify:

1. N2k Newwork configuration? Something like a Maretron USB100, GPS100
perhaps a DSM200.
2. Other devices to include. Auto Pilot etc.

Is the AP 0183 driven or N2K enabled? The last I checked only Simrad
had an N2K AP.

Making some assumptions here based on what you have said I'll guess
the AP is an 0183 device. To drive the AP with your configuration you
will need two COM Ports. One will connect to the USB100 which will
convert the N2K Navagation PGN's to appropriate 0183 sentences for the
PC application. The second port is where you will connect the AP to
receive the PC generated 0183 AP sentences. I am not very familiar
with the Cap'n but I don't remember a way to configure multiple COM
ports in it? Any Cap'n experts listening? I have a Maretron N2K
network feeding my Offshore Navigator application which does support a
separate AP COM port and it works as expected.

Hope that this helps a bit.....

Bill

bob wrote:
[...]

Temperature Analog to Digital, NMEA 2000 [email protected] Electronics 8 November 26th 06 02:59 AM
Cheap navigation system Gilligan ASA 8 October 11th 06 10:35 PM
Cool! Bennett trim tab indicators now interface with NMEA 2000 standard NOYB General 2 November 17th 05 04:57 PM
NMEA: What confusion is that? Pascal Electronics 6 September 15th 05 12:33 AM
Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop Phil Stanton Electronics 13 May 31st 05 10:36 PM