posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Sea Talk, NMEA

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message k...
That my ear-device for my telephone contantly get confused and that my
f...... bluetooth keybord and mouse has to be re-installed every time I
replace the battery. I wish I'd opted for the IR version or cable ....

Those are typical examples of bad design to save money, resulting in bad
reputation of the technology. The same has happened with USB. Both
technologies allow for beautiful solutions when done right from the start.

Of course I am biased, since I have designed bluetooth and USB enabled
multiplexers that do work properly :-)

I have had customers buy a multiplexer with a serial interface (resulting in
the infamous "crazy mouse" problem in Windows) because they were reluctant
to buy one with a USB interface. And it is precisely the one with USB
interface that does NOT have this crazy mouse problem and always works, like
PnP/USB was supposed to work.

The same with bluetooth: by using better modules than cheap consumer stuff,
pairing info is stored permanently and every time the system is brought up,
the communication is there as if a serial cable was attached. But the cheap
consumer stuff is stripped down to the bare necessities, and to save another
50c on cost, the non-volatile memory chip needed to store this sort of info
is omitted.

A similar problem exists with USB devices, by omitting a tiny chip with a
unique serial number, windows can only recognize a cheap usb-serial
converter by the USB port is is plugged in, resulting in a different com
port number when you plug it in a different USB port. By adding this little
chip, such a converter would have the same com port number, no matter which
USB port on your PC you plug it into.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Meindert,

I know that what you build works, but I have several devices that are
serial that I need to attach to my newer laptop that only has USB.

Do you know of a serial/usb adapter that will not change port numbers on
a whim?

Thanks
Matt Colie

Meindert Sprang wrote:
[...]

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
news
Meindert,

I know that what you build works, but I have several devices that are
serial that I need to attach to my newer laptop that only has USB.

Do you know of a serial/usb adapter that will not change port numbers on
a whim?

Sorry, I have no experience with commercially available adapters from the
mainstream market. I sell the one from the FTDI website, I use their chips
in my USB multiplexers and they're darn good. Their USB-serial adapters are
therefore also good, although they have PnP enabled and will exhibit the
"crazy mouse" problem, unless you disable that through the property pages of
the virtual com port in the device manager. I sell them with customised
drivers PnP disabled so they behave as good as my USB multiplexers. They are
a bit expensive though, compared to the junk you can buy at your local
computer store (41 euro/$55).
But you might be able to find them through an FTDI distributor in the US.
They also have a much cheaper model that would go for around $30 I believe.

http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message k...
Agree USB is good. But it doesnt go for the commercially available BT
products.

Not all BT enabled devices are crap. I've got a Holux GPSSlim236 GPS which
is very good, and it pairs perfectly and always automatically with my Palm
and my Nokia E60. And my Palm always connects with my Nokia 6230i. Haven't
got any experience with BT headsets though.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Thanks Meindert,
I will contact FTDI. If they do not have US Distributor, I may just
bring one in. I do a great deal of work on systems using my old laptop
that has an RS232 port but when I have more people working, I get the
new system that does not and it is real inconvenient having it change
ports with a restart.

Matt Colie

--
target of diversity
victim of affirmative action

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
news
Meindert,

I know that what you build works, but I have several devices that are
serial that I need to attach to my newer laptop that only has USB.

Do you know of a serial/usb adapter that will not change port numbers on
a whim?

You might have a look at:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=718

I have had very good luck with this FTDI board. If you try one, be sure
to get the drivers from:

http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html

I have NOT experienced any port hopping with this puppy!

HTH

Vic

Vic Fraenckel
KC2GUI
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com

"Victor Fraenckel" wrote in message
You might have a look at:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=718

I have had very good luck with this FTDI board. If you try one, be sure
to get the drivers from:

http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html

I have NOT experienced any port hopping with this puppy!

That is indeed the right chip. But that board outputs TTL levels and I'm
afraid Matt needs to connect it to ordinary RS-232 stuff.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Victor Fraenckel" wrote in message
You might have a look at:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=718

I have had very good luck with this FTDI board. If you try one, be sure
to get the drivers from:

http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html

I have NOT experienced any port hopping with this puppy!

That is indeed the right chip. But that board outputs TTL levels and I'm
afraid Matt needs to connect it to ordinary RS-232 stuff.

Meindert

Level shift it with the MAX232. I don't know of a ready-made solution
for this though.

Vic

Sea Talk, NMEA [email protected] Cruising 29 April 22nd 07 02:42 AM
Summer at the beach near Seattle video... JimH General 5 February 7th 07 01:31 AM
Cheap navigation system Gilligan ASA 8 October 11th 06 10:35 PM
A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine Pascal Electronics 21 May 18th 06 02:18 PM
Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop Phil Stanton Electronics 13 May 31st 05 10:36 PM