posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Sea Talk, NMEA

On Apr 10, 11:38 pm, Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1176244717.431800.16850
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

SNIP

The coordinated turns in any REASONABLE wind/current/speed situation is
so smooth....no overshoot or undershoot....Ghosts don't oversteer..(c;

Larry
--

Larry

Many thanks for your info.

Matt

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:46:37 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

If the instruments talk to each other, you can know true wind,
current, drift, etc.

You can know all that just by having a magnetic compass and a GPS. You
are so lame...

And you know not of what you speak.

What happened to your departure plan?

I'm not the real Wilbur Hubbard. I'm somebody else who's frogging him.
Won't he be upset if he comes back and sees he's still here! Ha ha ha!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

And then I think it's fair to say, that if you use Raymarine/SeaTalk it is
(depite disadvantages of a propritary standard) extremely easy to
interconnect and at absolutely no extra cost. So if you do; why not
interconnect and get the extra features for free. And true wind is a must,
unless you call yourself 'Wilbur Hubbard' and is satisfied with sloppy
sailing and use your saved energy on being rude to people posting relevant
questions.

Bjarke

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 11:38 pm, Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1176244717.431800.16850
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

SNIP

The coordinated turns in any REASONABLE wind/current/speed situation is
so smooth....no overshoot or undershoot....Ghosts don't oversteer..(c;

Larry
--

Larry

Many thanks for your info.

Matt

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

The question came up what would be the benefit in having the
instruments communicate with each other using Sea talk or NMEA?

There's also the potential reduction in cabling. You can have multiple
sensors daisy-chained together on the network instead of running wire from
each of them to a display. Less wire, less weight, less to break, less to
pay for. Granted, a single network is a potential single point of failure.
Or a defective device can, in some situations, disrupt the rest of the
network traffic. Fortunately it's easy to plug/unplug such devices to skip
over them. I keep a space seatalk 3 port junction and an extra 25' cable on
board just for such situations.

If he's upgrading the chartplotter make sure the power wiring to it is
correct. The gauge on mine is a little too thin and results in just enough
voltage drop to be a problem when the systems battery starts to drain. When
it was 12v at the battery terminals it was 11.4v at the plotter and got
worse as the system battery drained. Re-wiring with heavier gauge power AND
ground to the plotter eliminated this problem. So have your friend use a
volt meter at the equipment, and then at the battery, to make sure it's
sufficient. It'll save him the debugging headaches later...

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

This past winter I thought it would be a great time to upgrade my
dated sailing instruments. I spent many hours researching all the
vendors, and in the end I went with Raymarine. I was so impressed
with the ease of self installation and setup, that I ordered a new
C80, GPS, and Wheel pilot the same night. My "old" (2006) GPS unit is
still in perfect working condition, and I am using it as a backup
now. I was worried about the Seatalk standard at the start, however,
I am a absolutley impressed with the whole system. With the C80, and
the autopilot the both offer NMEA out which will broadcast many of the
Seatalk (not all) sentences to other on board equipment. Although the
instuments cost a bit more than others up front you are getting a well
engineered product, that you should not have to fuss with.

Mike

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"mlkress" wrote in news:1176468858.686885.36230
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I was worried about the Seatalk standard at the start, however,
I am a absolutley impressed with the whole system.

I'd just wish they'd drop the wired serial bus nonsense and go BLUETOOTH
with everything on the boat! It's time everything was WIRELESS, even the
sensors in the bilge! The speed log Bluetooth pairs with the log
transducer. The radar scanner Bluetooth pairs with the radome for video
and control.

Same with all the rest....(c;

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message k...
As long as they produce wired instruments for me, then it's fine with me

if
you want all the problems with bluetooth.

What problems with bluetooth?

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

That my ear-device for my telephone contantly get confused and that my
f...... bluetooth keybord and mouse has to be re-installed every time I
replace the battery. I wish I'd opted for the IR version or cable ....

I btw pulled the wires for my new ST60 log and depth instruments today. 3
hours work and for the next 10 years I know they will *always* be in contact
..... I if they were bluetooth I would have used 2 hours on 12 volt wires
anway. Great investment ...

Bjarke

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
ll.nl...
[...]

What he said. Unless there's already power available you're still going to
have to run wire. NMEA2000 supports powering devices from the network so
it's only one cable to pull. I've got two fuel flow sensors and a GPS
antenna off mine. Likewise, I've found the reprogramming madness of
bluetooth devices to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd hate to imagine
the hassles of reprogramming something at sea, under bad conditions, trying
to find the batteries and the manual. No thanks. Wireless has it's place
but other than for secondary displays or perhaps remote control I don't see
using it on most boats.

Sea Talk, NMEA [email protected] Cruising 29 April 22nd 07 02:42 AM
Summer at the beach near Seattle video... JimH General 5 February 7th 07 01:31 AM
Cheap navigation system Gilligan ASA 8 October 11th 06 10:35 PM
A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine Pascal Electronics 21 May 18th 06 02:18 PM
Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop Phil Stanton Electronics 13 May 31st 05 10:36 PM