posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Matt Colie Matt Colie is offline

Default Sea Talk, NMEA

Thanks Meindert,
I will contact FTDI. If they do not have US Distributor, I may just
bring one in. I do a great deal of work on systems using my old laptop
that has an RS232 port but when I have more people working, I get the
new system that does not and it is real inconvenient having it change
ports with a restart.

Matt Colie

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Matt Colie" wrote in message
news
Meindert,

I know that what you build works, but I have several devices that are
serial that I need to attach to my newer laptop that only has USB.

Do you know of a serial/usb adapter that will not change port numbers on
a whim?

Sorry, I have no experience with commercially available adapters from the
mainstream market. I sell the one from the FTDI website, I use their chips
in my USB multiplexers and they're darn good. Their USB-serial adapters are
therefore also good, although they have PnP enabled and will exhibit the
"crazy mouse" problem, unless you disable that through the property pages of
the virtual com port in the device manager. I sell them with customised
drivers PnP disabled so they behave as good as my USB multiplexers. They are
a bit expensive though, compared to the junk you can buy at your local
computer store (41 euro/$55).
But you might be able to find them through an FTDI distributor in the US.
They also have a much cheaper model that would go for around $30 I believe.

http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html

Meindert

--
target of diversity