posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Need advice on electronics

I think I like seperate moduals instead of a network type. ( In case
one goes out and it not kill my whole system). Or am I wrong.

If you don't have your chartplotter and radar on the same device or network
then you won't get one overlaid on the other. But then again it depends on
how much that matters to you. I prefer seeing the radar on top of the chart
details.

Also, since I'm a little old, I would like a bigger screen then the
little tiny hand held kinds.

Well, consider how much room you've got at the helm for mounting the gear.
If you go with a networked setup you can install just one display on the
helm and switch between chart, radar, overlaid chart/radar, fish finder and
often combinations of them using split-screens. Otherwise you'd have to
install one display for each of them. More holes to cut, more mounts to
graft onto what might be an already cluttered helm, etc.

There's not that much to worry about when it comes to networked setups. The
radar and fish-finder usually comes straight into the chartplotter and
wiring can be laid out to allow the same thing for GPS and depth.

Granted, if the main chartplotter craps out you're screwed but that's why
you should always bring along a hand-held GPS unit and good ol' paper charts
as a backup.

As for PC programs, I've found Maptech's Chart Navigator Pro to be
hands-down the friendliest one to use on Windows, and the best deal
price-wise. Shop around for it but I picked mine up from boatfix.com for
around $350 and that was including an entire set of US waters DVDs. CNP is
a packaged version of Rosepoint's Chart Navigator.

The upside to networked systems like Raymarine gear is being able to tie the
PC into the network and share charts, trips and GPS data. But then the
ability to do that versus actual needs/desires should be considered. Other
than using the laptop to plan routes ahead of time, at home, and then upload
to the chartplotter I don't usually bother with connecting the PC to the
network. I "can" but don't usually find it necessary or even worth the
effort. It's just as easy to pull the chip from the chartplotter and use
that for transfers.

And for a good local supplier, try Jim at BOE in Annapolis. I've gotten all
my electronic gear from him. Price and support has been great. That and
he's a 5 minute walk from my marina in Eastport!
http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php

-Bill Kearney