posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default general boat wiring?

Why would it burn out? Burn outs happen from high current. You don't get high
current from loose connection, you get low current.

"Electricky Dicky" wrote in message ...
Ring terminals, hooked blades, bootlace ferrule or spade connectors,
IMHO if the terminal comes a bit loose you have probably got a burn
out on the connector and wire end anyway!

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Why would it burn out? Burn outs happen from high current. You don't get high
current from loose connection, you get low current.

"Electricky Dicky" wrote in message ...
Ring terminals, hooked blades, bootlace ferrule or spade connectors,
IMHO if the terminal comes a bit loose you have probably got a burn
out on the connector and wire end anyway!

Loose connection gives you high resistance, so ALL the voltage drop is
across your 'bad' connection. So even though the the current will
reduce because of the higher resistance, most of the power will be in
the joint.

So if the current falls to say 2 amps and 12 volts drop is at the
connection then using W=IV we will have 24W. This is more than my mini
soldering iron.

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 10:12:13 GMT, Bozo wrote:

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Why would it burn out? Burn outs happen from high current. You don't get high
current from loose connection, you get low current.

"Electricky Dicky" wrote in message ...
Ring terminals, hooked blades, bootlace ferrule or spade connectors,
IMHO if the terminal comes a bit loose you have probably got a burn
out on the connector and wire end anyway!

Loose connection gives you high resistance, so ALL the voltage drop is
across your 'bad' connection. So even though the the current will
reduce because of the higher resistance, most of the power will be in
the joint.

So if the current falls to say 2 amps and 12 volts drop is at the
connection then using W=IV we will have 24W. This is more than my mini
soldering iron.

And JohnW wrote
Arcing/sparking or otherwise generating heat due to a higher
than normal connection resistance.

Thank you gentlemen, you beat me to it.

On the subject of "tight screws" IMHO the European metric "relatively
fine thread" allows tighter terminals (of any sort) than the US
threads! Stand by for flack! ;-)

--

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
"Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often."
(For the same reason)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bozo wrote in
:

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Why would it burn out? Burn outs happen from high current. You
don't get high current from loose connection, you get low current.

"Electricky Dicky" wrote in message
Ring terminals, hooked blades, bootlace ferrule or spade connectors,
IMHO if the terminal comes a bit loose you have probably got a burn
out on the connector and wire end anyway!

Loose connection gives you high resistance, so ALL the voltage drop is
across your 'bad' connection. So even though the the current will
reduce because of the higher resistance, most of the power will be in
the joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPZL...elated&search=
Not necessarily.....(c;
Even the power company guys were impressed!

Larry
--
If the damned government isn't going to enforce
immigration laws, can they at LEAST park an ICE
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Electricky Dicky wrote in
:

On the subject of "tight screws" IMHO the European metric "relatively
fine thread" allows tighter terminals (of any sort) than the US
threads! Stand by for flack! ;-)

100% true....

We still haven't learned which standards are the best. Compare the US' new
HDTV picture to the new HDTV picture in Europe. Ours sucks in comparison.

Larry
--
If the damned government isn't going to enforce
immigration laws, can they at LEAST park an ICE
paddy wagon in front of WalMart so I can find
a parking place and make the checkout line SHORTER?!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPZL...elated&search=
Not necessarily.....(c;
Even the power company guys were impressed!

Larry

Heck, even I was impressed.
Old Chief Lynn

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPZL...elated&search=
Not necessarily.....(c;
Even the power company guys were impressed!

Larry

Heck, even I was impressed.
Old Chief Lynn

Hopefully this does not happen very often in a boat with 12VDC...
I wonder what my chart display would think of that!!!!

Daniel
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Got your Skype request. Did it approve ok?

Larry

Yep, and I am going to get around to calling one of these days after the
temps get out of the single digits......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Daniele Fua wrote in news:qHDGh.13033$zG1.157045
@twister2.libero.it:

Hopefully this does not happen very often in a boat with 12VDC...
I wonder what my chart display would think of that!!!!

Daniel

"Some interference with electronic devices may result."....(c;

Larry
--
Have a little fun in the checkout line....
Ask the nearest American, "Did you see the ICE