posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt Lynn Coffelt is offline

Default general boat wiring?

A good deal of modern boat electronics wiring is connected to terminal
blocks by sticking the end of the wire into a hole where a screw-down clamp
holds the wire in place. It always looked like a not too smart idea to me,
but they neglected to ask me when the equipment was being designed.
My question is: How do you experts treat the wire ends that go into the
terminal block holes?
1. I usually twist the strands tightly, clockwise, before putting into
the hole. A couple of real Pros said this was bad practice. However I
believe it helps prevent "wild hairs", and makes sure each strand gets a
tight mechanical squeezing into the circuit.
2. Sometimes I twist the strands togather and flow just a very small
bit of solder into the last 1/4 inch (or less if quick on the trigger). I
know the old wives tales about solder cold flow loosening the connection
after time, and the solder creating a stress riser that breaks strands with
vibration. It seems to me, and with lots of "miles" and hundreds of
installations, nobody except the "Pros" have complained.

I realize that under aircraft rules, the solder would be strictly
forbidden, but with well tied and supported wire bundles, I have yet to find
my own connections coming back to haunt me. (I lie a little too, no man is
perfect) (except the Captain, of course)

Old Chief Lynn