posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Compatible GPS antennas

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 225 on my boat. I have a spare antenna for it in my
basement.

I also have a Micrologic ML250 GPS on the upper helm station of my boat.
Recently, the ML250 stopped acquiring the satellites. I suspect a problem
with the antenna or the cable. Since I have this spare antenna for my
Garmin, is there any harm in using it for the Micrologic unit? It uses the
same BNC connectors, but are most GPS antennas created equally?

Gary wrote:
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 225 on my boat. I have a spare antenna for it in my
basement.

I also have a Micrologic ML250 GPS on the upper helm station of my boat.
Recently, the ML250 stopped acquiring the satellites. I suspect a problem
with the antenna or the cable. Since I have this spare antenna for my
Garmin, is there any harm in using it for the Micrologic unit? It uses the
same BNC connectors, but are most GPS antennas created equally?

I've heard that the Garmin antennas will work on the Micrologics. I've
not done it first hand but I'd go ahead and give it a try if I had an
antenna laying around.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Jack Erbes wrote in
:

I've heard that the Garmin antennas will work on the Micrologics. I've
not done it first hand but I'd go ahead and give it a try if I had an
antenna laying around.

Jack

If the wrong voltage or wrong polarity blows it, just send it to Jack and
he'll replace it....(c;

Let's take a more cautious approach. Unplug the antenna off both units and
measure the DC voltage feeding the antenna unit at the bnc connector on the
GPS unit. See what it's feeding the antenna.

Is it the same? (Y/N)

Y - go ahead

N - don't risk it?

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote:
Jack Erbes wrote in
:

I've heard that the Garmin antennas will work on the Micrologics. I've
not done it first hand but I'd go ahead and give it a try if I had an
antenna laying around.

Jack

If the wrong voltage or wrong polarity blows it, just send it to Jack and
he'll replace it....(c;

snip

Yes, I will. I have a few of them laying in the basement.

And I'll bet you $100 it will not damage the antenna.

http://forums.gpscity.com/archive/index.php?t-3268.html

http://ureader.co.uk/message/1597529.aspx

It has already been done both ways.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Very cool. I'm glad to see that someone else has already tried it
successfully.

I'll probably check the voltages just to be sure, but sounds like it'll be
no problem.

Thanks!

Gary

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
Jack Erbes wrote in
:

I've heard that the Garmin antennas will work on the Micrologics. I've
not done it first hand but I'd go ahead and give it a try if I had an
antenna laying around.

Jack

If the wrong voltage or wrong polarity blows it, just send it to Jack

and
he'll replace it....(c;

snip

Yes, I will. I have a few of them laying in the basement.

And I'll bet you $100 it will not damage the antenna.

http://forums.gpscity.com/archive/index.php?t-3268.html

http://ureader.co.uk/message/1597529.aspx

It has already been done both ways.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 225 on my boat. I have a spare antenna for it in my
basement.

I also have a Micrologic ML250 GPS on the upper helm station of my boat.
Recently, the ML250 stopped acquiring the satellites. I suspect a problem
with the antenna or the cable. Since I have this spare antenna for my
Garmin, is there any harm in using it for the Micrologic unit? It uses the
same BNC connectors, but are most GPS antennas created equally?
I have not experience with Garmin, but I know for a fact that Furuno GPA-017 antenna works.

Bryan Goree