posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default LCD Monitor 240V - 12v

I just purchased a LCD monitior to use onboard which runs on 240AC.
Is there a way to hard wire a 12dc (I'm assuming the internals use
12v) so that I don't required an inverter? The monitor is ASUS
pm17tu.
Cheers, Jim

wrote:
I just purchased a LCD monitior to use onboard which runs on 240AC.
Is there a way to hard wire a 12dc (I'm assuming the internals use
12v) so that I don't required an inverter? The monitor is ASUS
pm17tu.
Cheers, Jim

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=1509
http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...?articleid=790

Voltage Rating: AC: 100 ~ 240V
Power Consumption (Power-On): 48W
Power Consumption (Stand-by): 2W

That second link shows that comes with an IEC power cord, not an AC-DC
adapter, so all the AC to DC conversion must be done inside the display.

If it does not have an external DC jack, you may have to open it up and
investigate the internal inverter section to figure out what it is
actually using. Are you ready to put your three year warranty at risk?

With an internal inverter like that, there might not bee much regulation
and/or surge protection on the DC output side of the inverter. So once
you figure out what voltages and levels are needed, you'll still
probably need to use a good quality DC-DC inverter to regulate the input
voltage.

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Trying to get inside and tinker with the power supply sounds like it is
probably going to be a lot more risky than it is worth.

It is strange though that you can hardly find an LCD display these days that
uses a wall wart. At one time they were all 12V. I just happened to luck
up on a surplus 17" industrial 2800 nit touch screen that runs on 12V. I
have squirreled it away to use on Rutu.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Trying to get inside and tinker with the power supply sounds like it is
probably going to be a lot more risky than it is worth.

It is strange though that you can hardly find an LCD display these days that
uses a wall wart. At one time they were all 12V. I just happened to luck
up on a surplus 17" industrial 2800 nit touch screen that runs on 12V. I
have squirreled it away to use on Rutu.

2800 NITs? You could use that for a spot light! And maybe even welding.

I think the one the OP asked about was 500 NIT in the specs, which is
about right for daylight display with sunlight direct on the screen.

I wish they would make it against the law to sell any thing with a
display without including information like NIT and Contrast Ratio in the
specs. Everyone advertises ambiguous stuff like Brite, Hi-Brite,
Ultra-bright, etc., but until you get it and use it, you never know what
you are going to get.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Keyboard error. It is 1800 nits. Still it will blind you in a nav station
at full power. It came off a CNC milling center so it is oil and water
resistant and dims way down. The original intent was to use it at the helm
but it is to D#$!ed big. Wish I could trade it for a 12" with the same
brightness.

--

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

In article ,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Keyboard error. It is 1800 nits. Still it will blind you in a nav station
at full power. It came off a CNC milling center so it is oil and water
resistant and dims way down. The original intent was to use it at the helm
but it is to D#$!ed big. Wish I could trade it for a 12" with the same
brightness.

--
Glenn Ashmore

Just think about using your computers Video Card to send Reverse Video
to the LCD. A lot of programs that are used in cars and boats while
moving have that option in the display Drivers.... sure saves the
Night Eyes.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @