posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default LCD Monitor 240V - 12v

wrote:
I just purchased a LCD monitior to use onboard which runs on 240AC.
Is there a way to hard wire a 12dc (I'm assuming the internals use
12v) so that I don't required an inverter? The monitor is ASUS
pm17tu.
Cheers, Jim

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=1509
http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...?articleid=790

Voltage Rating: AC: 100 ~ 240V
Power Consumption (Power-On): 48W
Power Consumption (Stand-by): 2W

That second link shows that comes with an IEC power cord, not an AC-DC
adapter, so all the AC to DC conversion must be done inside the display.

If it does not have an external DC jack, you may have to open it up and
investigate the internal inverter section to figure out what it is
actually using. Are you ready to put your three year warranty at risk?

With an internal inverter like that, there might not bee much regulation
and/or surge protection on the DC output side of the inverter. So once
you figure out what voltages and levels are needed, you'll still
probably need to use a good quality DC-DC inverter to regulate the input
voltage.

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)