posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

Hi, Ian, and group(s),

Would that it did - My reaction comes from merely typing in the URL
(the way I usually reach the bridge to configure it) in nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
format, whereupon the pay site(s? - I've not been in an area with more
than one at the moment, though the readout shows many presumed pay
sites as well, some of which have more strength, but not as good a
communications level)) redirects to their signin page.

If no DNS lookup is being done, there should be absolutely NO
oppertunity for a redirect. Its possible that the router you have put
in between your LAN and the bridge is causing this behaviour. You
*might* need to set up a static route.

The Bridge has a static IP (which I set to be outside the usual use
range so as to avoid IP conflicts) - and the Vonage unit IP can't be
changed - but, like the Bridge, the DLink can be set to whatever I
want, also static. I have used it in DHCP, though, so it will get me
on the air - and that on-the-air signal is what Vonage uses to find the
MAC address to connect me to the phone grid...

Another possibility is you have one of the many varieties of 'search
assistant' or internet 'booster' malware on your PC that is trying to
reach its homepage and is therefore triggering the wireless ISP login
redirect. A full scan with a number of different spyware and virus
scanners is probably a good idea at this point.

That's possible, but highly unlikely, as I have more than one current,
up to date, tool which checks weekly, and also notifies me of any
attempt to intrude (very few) or insert malware (even fewer). Full
virus and malware scans are done weekly. Oversight (active scanning)
is on full time.

Do you ever get this redirection when trying to access the Router config
page?

No. My router is easily accessible through my AP, which is set to the
198.162.(whatever the router uses).xxx class

Further, we are now at the point where only a direct connection (NIC)
will allow any communication with the top of the mast or beyond.

We briefly had connectivity to the Vonage router by going to a DLink
DI-614 (ancient tech, left over from my landside home) router WAN port
with the bridge, and putting the Vonage unit on one of the LAN ports.
I connected to the DLink over wifi and was able to interrogate it and
the Vonage unit.

For whatever reasons, those abilities (vonage and bridge - I can still
look at and configure the DLink) have gone away. Worse, and supportive
of the thought that either the Senao is simply junk, or perhaps, also,
just unsuited to the purpose, direct (over either configured NIC for
setting up the bridge, or DHCP NIC for access to the internet)
connection is currently the only way I can communicate.

That's not acceptable to me, but it does, at least, after lots of
fiddling, as the Senao unit is becoming slow to respond in the main
Beacon page (there are more than one; I can connect to lesser strength
ones and get a login page more readily than the close, very high [100%
link, 89% signal] one which got me started down this road) I've been
using, allow me to be on the air, as it's how I'm posting this...

Thus, as mentioned elsewhere, I'm ready to replace it; finding a
lightly amplified client bridge's - with my specification about how one
connects - challenges have been described in other responses.

About to take all the yard folks out for a sail today in reward for all
the assistance they've rendered in the past; 85, mostly sunny, 2-3
chop, 10-15S should make for a glorious trip to nowhere (we're coming
back!) :{))

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

I'm guessing that the correct sequence of events would be to
disconnect the bottom router, connect a PC to the ethernet cable,
configure the top bridge, acquire an access point, unplug the PC and
replace with the bottom router. The bottom router could be
preconfigured to use a different channel than the connected access
point.

I'm going to take a dropcord to Lionheart, tomorrow, with a waterproof
ditty bag because it might rain. I'll take the Skype Phone and this
repeater and haul the repeater up the mast on a halyard trailing a 110VAC
drop cord to power it.

We'll see how that works. This box weighs nothing.

Hey Larry, why not take it apart, and see what the internal DC
Powersupply runs at? Maybe you could adapt it to 12Vdc or some
Low Voltage Dc Powered system, and while your in there, look and
see it you could adapt an external antenna, or connector to the
antenna port.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

Hey Larry, why not take it apart, and see what the internal DC
Powersupply runs at? Maybe you could adapt it to 12Vdc or some
Low Voltage Dc Powered system, and while your in there, look and
see it you could adapt an external antenna, or connector to the
antenna port.

Bruce in alaska
-

After I figure out whether I'm going to keep it, or not...(c;

The little 6dB (guessing colinear) that's on it is quite well. I DO see
the feeding coax which bends in the joint when the antenna is rotated, so
I assume it has a connector on the other end that plugs into one of the
RF boxes you can see inside through the little cooling holes.

Great service at Denny's where signal was really low and marginal. It
connects to the hotel across the street, I surmised driving around with
the Skype phone to find where the signal on "default" was best... The
repeater makes it over half scale anywhere inside Denny's from almost no
signal at all.

What is curious is how the box simply assumes the identity of the station
it's repeating. It even clones the MAC of the master station, its SSID,
etc. But, it's not just an RF repeater because it DOES have to connect
itself to the master station before it assumes repeater status. Once
both lights are blue, you can see you're using it because the Activity
light blinks every time data goes through the repeater...either way.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

Default Telephone, too (was) WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

The conclusion, in any event, is that this unit is not suited to the
purpose

This conclusion was drawn for you MONTHS AGO. You just refused to listen.