posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building
Larry Larry is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

Hey Larry, why not take it apart, and see what the internal DC
Powersupply runs at? Maybe you could adapt it to 12Vdc or some
Low Voltage Dc Powered system, and while your in there, look and
see it you could adapt an external antenna, or connector to the
antenna port.

Bruce in alaska
-

After I figure out whether I'm going to keep it, or not...(c;

The little 6dB (guessing colinear) that's on it is quite well. I DO see
the feeding coax which bends in the joint when the antenna is rotated, so
I assume it has a connector on the other end that plugs into one of the
RF boxes you can see inside through the little cooling holes.

Great service at Denny's where signal was really low and marginal. It
connects to the hotel across the street, I surmised driving around with
the Skype phone to find where the signal on "default" was best... The
repeater makes it over half scale anywhere inside Denny's from almost no
signal at all.

What is curious is how the box simply assumes the identity of the station
it's repeating. It even clones the MAC of the master station, its SSID,
etc. But, it's not just an RF repeater because it DOES have to connect
itself to the master station before it assumes repeater status. Once
both lights are blue, you can see you're using it because the Activity
light blinks every time data goes through the repeater...either way.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip