posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

Wayne,

Have you looked at the Inscape Data Corp CB54E?

I am considering it for the top of my mast.

Tell me what you think.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Wow,
this whole thread is pretty whacked, or funny, depending on your
perspective.

Skip needs a new access point.
one that will allow him to set the SSID so that he can specifially
attach to it. The lastest issue is that Skip is NOT accessing his local
lan locally, he is accessing it via the foreign access point. In fact,
technically, the foreign access point is his local lan.
poor skip.

Wayne has the right idea, just stop doofing around and do it. AND, if
you REALLY want to have fun, you can go to http://openwrt.org and
install Linux on your WRTG and get all sorts of fun features! (please
don't).

As for me, I went to www.hacom.net and purchased a little black box and
put linux on it, then you can install whatever card you want, my unit
has 4 usb ports, 2 pcmcia, etc. I use it to connect to the internet via
my Verizon 7130e over their EVDO network, nnnnoice. Its an awesome
router/boat controller. But I digress.

anywho, if you know what you are donig, roll your own, if you dont,
PLEASE listen to Wayne and be done with it. Look, you spend how much on
fuel and rum? Just buy the silly wrtg. Oh you want it on your mast for
better coverage? Why? WRTG's are cheap by 3 of them, in fact, they are
disposable, by 4, just in case one dies.

On Dec 27, 2:33 pm, Ian Malcolm
wrote:
Bill Kearney wrote:
If no DNS lookup is being done, there should be absolutely NO
oppertunity for a redirect.

This is incorrect. A router with sufficient features can redirect whatever
it likes. It's quite common for hotspot types of setups to do just that.
So it doesn't matter if you have a static address, vpn or anything else.
Any packets that hit the router can be manipulated to return anything the
router dictates. Even at the ARP level. So your machine does an ARP lookup
trying to find your static address (or route) and it's given the router's
address; this is normal. But at the same time the router now knows your MAC
address (also normal). You use your browser and your MAC address then sends
other packets, the hotspot router understands this as HTTP traffic and
returns the redirected HTML content. Try any other static addresses and
you'll get the exact same thing.YES, but if Skip is attempting to access (port 80 HTTP) an IP address

LOCAL TO HIS ONBOARD LAN, *HOW* is the router at the hotspot
intercepting it? It shouldn't have any interest in any local addresses
on the LAN side of Skip's bridge. You obviously have a better than
obvious grasp of what's going on so can you provide an explanation or
suggest the next troubleshooting step Skip should try?

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

- I don't believe they are weather proof.

Weatherproof and not working is not a solution. There are any number of
ways to put something into a box. But to that end, I put my WRT54G in the
radar arch last spring. As of winter it's shown no signs whatsoever of
corrosion.

- I'm pretty sure they are not high power ( 50 mw )

You are incorrect. It's adjustable. But high-power does not mean better
functionality. This is a very common misconception.

- Do no directly support Power Over Ethernet (POE)

Again, if it doesn't work, what's the point. POE isn't all it's cracked up
to be if you're not using effective gauge wire. Wire that's too thin will
cause voltage drop.

So although they can potentially do the job, they are not exactly
ideal for mounting up the mast in an extended range application.

If you want it to work then building a box or running wire is a trivial fix.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

YES, but if Skip is attempting to access (port 80 HTTP) an IP address
LOCAL TO HIS ONBOARD LAN, *HOW* is the router at the hotspot
intercepting it? It shouldn't have any interest in any local addresses
on the LAN side of Skip's bridge. You obviously have a better than
obvious grasp of what's going on so can you provide an explanation or
suggest the next troubleshooting step Skip should try?

Skip's networking has been fraught with screw ups, largely borne of his own
failure to actually pay attention to, and use, the advice a number of
networking experts have offered. Here an in alt.internet.wireless.

My advice then, and now, continues to be "get the right gear". And stop
wasting his and everyone else's time.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 07:54:26 -0500, "Ansley W. Sawyer"
wrote:

Have you looked at the Inscape Data Corp CB54E?

I am considering it for the top of my mast.

I looked at the specs and it seems interesting but I have not yet
tried one or heard of any first hand reports.

The key with all of these ethernet units is the quality of the
internal firmware which performs the network scan function and allows
you to select/configure an access point. It is especially important
that you can select by MAC address in addition to SSID because there
are a lot of duplicate SSIDs in some harbors.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:02:10 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

WRT54G

Bill, does the firmware in the WRT54G allow selection of an access
point by MAC address in addition to SSID?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:02:10 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

WRT54G

Bill, does the firmware in the WRT54G allow selection of an access
point by MAC address in addition to SSID?

The Wireless Mac Filter section of the router has the following options:

Prevent PCs listed from accessing the wireless.
Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network.

And, it gives you the ability to edit the MAC filter list.

Here's the text of the help screen...

The Wireless MAC Filters feature allows you to control which
wireless-equipped PCs may or may not communicate with the Router's depending
on their MAC addresses. To disable the Wireless MAC Filters feature, keep
the default setting, Disable. To set up a filter, click Enable, and follow
these instructions:

1. If you want to block specific wireless-equipped PCs from communicating
with the Router, then keep the default setting, Prevent PCs listed from
accessing the wireless network. If you want to allow specific
wireless-equipped PCs to communicate with the Router, then click the radio
button next to Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network.

2. Click the Edit MAC Filter List button. Enter the appropriate MAC
addresses into the MAC fields.

Note: For each MAC field, the MAC address should be entered in this format:
xxxxxxxxxxxx (the x's represent the actual characters of the MAC address).

3. Click the Save Settings button to save your changes. Click the Cancel
Changes button to cancel your unsaved changes. Click the Close button to
return to the Advanced Wireless screen without saving changes.

Not sure if that answered your question.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:51:17 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Not sure if that answered your question.

Does the same functionality apply in "bridge" mode as opposed to
"access point" mode?

Most of the MAC filter logic that I've seen is to keep unwanted guests
out of your wireless network. The issue here is how to keep your
bridge from associating with unwanted access points.

wrote:

Not sure if that answered your question.

Does the same functionality apply in "bridge" mode as opposed to
"access point" mode?

Most of the MAC filter logic that I've seen is to keep unwanted guests
out of your wireless network. The issue here is how to keep your
bridge from associating with unwanted access points.

I don't know.. you could try looking for this on the web.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
You You is offline

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

But all these settings are on the LAN/Wireless side of the Router,
NOT the WAN side of the Router which is the side that needs to
communicate with the WiFi Access Point out in the WOLRD.......
When using this router as a BRIDGE, to bring WiFi onboard......