posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Skip - Working on the boat Skip - Working on the boat is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

Cap'n Ric wrote:
I've got a 250 ma client bridge connected to a WIFI antenna mounted on my
radar arch, about 11 feet above the waterline. The client bridge is in a
stern lazarette connected just eight cable feet from the antenna. An
Ethernet cable connects it back to the nav table in the main salon. Since
the client bridge had a 120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply I just power it
directly from the ship's battery power.

Ric, what is your bridge make and model? We got great reception on our
first sail today, when Lydia got a phone call even further out than the
original post. However, I'm not at all happy with the Senao unit and
would consider an upgrade if I could get it in the same space; 250mw
would improve our already good reach a bit, but the ability to select
around the commercial sites which want to hijack and redirect the
signal is a real PITA not to have...

Thanks...

L8R

Skip, with the electronics installer coming tomorrow

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain