posted to rec.boats.electronics
MEC MEC is offline

Default Anchor Winch stop/start/not reverse

Hi,
Before I call in the marine electrician does any one have some
thoughts on following?
Haven't used anchor winch for 12 months but occassionally ran it for
a few seconds back and forth without problems. Took the boat out 2
weeks ago and anchor winch just clicked (relay?) when I tried to run
it. Llater found that the line to the mooring buoy I was on was
tensioned across the top of the winch. Relocated line and winch worked
ok. i.e ran for a second to secure in roller.

Last trip found that winch wouldn't work at all just clicked away.
Checked voltage and quick check of contacts. Since have found that
winch will sometimes run for a second or two but only in retrieve
direction. The release button for some reason now also runs the winch
in retrieve direction.

Any suggestions on course for troubleshooting?

Thanks

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"MEC" wrote in news:1164583333.999490.239880@
45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Any suggestions on course for troubleshooting?

Put a voltmeter across the motor wires inside the winch housing and watch
it while you try to run the winch in each direction. No voltage to the
motor...bad relays or tripped breaker/fuse somewhere. Good voltage and the
motor doesn't move with NO LOAD...bad segment in the motor rotor, burned
brushes from the encounter trying to run while stalled, burned stator
winding (if it has one).

I took apart Lionheart's one-way (up) winch to see if something could be
lubed or needed cleaning/service. I found an extra wire just capped off
that went nowhere, ever. There's one big button on the housing...UP.
Curious, I put 12V on the spare wire. VOILA, the winch ran DOWN! I added
another relay and now have a two-way winch of amazing power, not just one
that goes UP and a sliding clutch for down....

I bet you burned a winding trying to run it stalled like that. Amazing
current flows and most of them really have no primary power proper fusing
like your engine starter.

Larry
--
If we eliminate religion, will they stop murdering each other?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Check the heavy wiring connections for corrosion, especially the ground.
Water and moisture tends to find its way to anchor winch connections because
of their location. A friend was on his way out to buy a new winch when I
suggested a bench test his old one connected to a battery. Ran fine. His
ground connection on the boat was corroded. Also cleaned up all connections
at solenoid while we were at it.
Len
--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"MEC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As you sead already ,the problem lies in the relay .Mostly bad contact cosed
by oxidation of the contacts .If you can open the relay and clean the
contacts with grid paper + later on cover with oxidation protector the
problem should be solved .

"MEC" wrote in message
[...]

low oil pressure on reverse rotation engine [email protected] General 0 September 20th 05 03:09 AM
Reverse rotation Jim General 6 June 28th 05 04:47 AM
86 OMC cobra Reverse issue mav General 1 May 27th 05 09:44 PM
Power Trim problem: Motor comes up when putting in reverse [email protected] General 9 June 16th 04 03:38 AM
transmission in reverse during sailing Marty General 14 August 5th 03 03:47 PM