posted to rec.boats.electronics
MEC MEC is offline

Default Anchor Winch stop/start/not reverse

Thanks for the advice. I'll run through your suggestions this weekend.

Matt

Larry wrote:
"MEC" wrote in news:1164583333.999490.239880@
45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Any suggestions on course for troubleshooting?

Put a voltmeter across the motor wires inside the winch housing and watch
it while you try to run the winch in each direction. No voltage to the
motor...bad relays or tripped breaker/fuse somewhere. Good voltage and the
motor doesn't move with NO LOAD...bad segment in the motor rotor, burned
brushes from the encounter trying to run while stalled, burned stator
winding (if it has one).

I took apart Lionheart's one-way (up) winch to see if something could be
lubed or needed cleaning/service. I found an extra wire just capped off
that went nowhere, ever. There's one big button on the housing...UP.
Curious, I put 12V on the spare wire. VOILA, the winch ran DOWN! I added
another relay and now have a two-way winch of amazing power, not just one
that goes UP and a sliding clutch for down....

I bet you burned a winding trying to run it stalled like that. Amazing
current flows and most of them really have no primary power proper fusing
like your engine starter.

Larry
--
If we eliminate religion, will they stop murdering each other?