posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default RayTech RNS 6.0 Best in Show --- I am confused.

"RayTech RNS 6.0 Navigation Software has been honored with the Best in
Show Award 2006 from the National Marine Electronics Association
(NMEA)." - Raymarine Web Site.

"Raymarine's RayTech RNS 6.0 Navigation Software offers boaters the
most comprehensive set of navigation software tools available today."
- Raymarine Web Site.

Most comprehensive set of navigation software tools available today -
Huh?

I use 6.0 in combination with my E-80. It's not bad, but award winning,
no, can't be. Maybe I am too spoiled with how easy it is to build and
play with routes and waypoints in my 2005 version of Garmin's MapSource
product line, that I believe that any product missing similiar
functionality is far from begin a "comprehensive set of navigation
software tools". Also RayTech RNS 6.0 does not allow you to import
tracks from your E-80. It is also very difficult to move routes and
waypoints between the two products via the memory card, and it's also a
pain in the neck to bring the cartography home with me so I can do
pre-planning on my home PC and bring the waypoints/routes back to my
E-80.

I hope Raymarine does not let this award go to their head, there is a
lot of things that they can do much better with RNS 6.0

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"b393capt" wrote in
ups.com:

Best in
Show Award 2006 from the National Marine Electronics Association

NMEA, owned and operated by the manufacturers, giving themselves awards for
anything, is like the US Army awarding itself a medal for the Osprey
helicopter that can't fly....often enough to account for its price.

The Fox shouldn't be awarding the henhouse.....

NMMA hands itself awards for the best chopper gun boat, too....(c;

Too bad Consumer's Union and UL don't seem too interested....

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Still, it would be more straightforward if they were praised and got an
award for what's good about RNS 6.0

1. For example, the user interface while still supporting toolbars and
other windows-XP controls defaults to a mode where RNS operates much
like the E-80 chartplotter. Once you know the chartplotter, which is
very easy actually, you know the GUI for RNS 6.0. At times when you
want to jump more directly to what you need, then there are toolbars
across the top.

2. Without dwelling on what you should already know from using the
charplotter, the manual gets right to the point, and with a short
amount of reading conveys how to use the additional features of RNS
that are not on the chartplotter.

3. Standard ethernet interface. When the PC is in my boat, it
interfaces via standard ethernet cable, and will can get the
cartography over the network from the E-80 just as if it's local in the
PC.

4. I happen to have a second charplotter at my nav station. If I had
not, RNS 6.0 makes your PC effectively into a remote chartplotter (e.g.
you get radar, sirius weather, and seatalk / nmea instrument data) via
standard ethernet. It would seem (I have not tried it) if you take the
extra step to setup a wireless lan on your boat, then bingo, your PC is
a wireless chartplotter and instrument console.

5. I will do this next season, if just for the convienance of changing
my crusing route based on current weather conditions without the risk
of getting seasick down below (RNS 6 will recommend a route based on
boat performance and weather download files).

.... still, they have much room for improvement. The chartplotter is
more difficult then it should be for creating a route, and that same
difficulty comes thru in the RNS 6 software emulation of the
chartplotter. They should improve it on both. Also, if I setup a route
and waypoints from home, it should be easier for me to bring them onto
the boat (and leave my PC behind). I just like my E-80 alot, and would
rather leave my PC at home after I have planned a route. And a third
suggestion while I am at it, would be that a purchase of the charting
software would also give you a copy you can use at home, without
needing the PC-card.

Dan

b393capt wrote:
[...]

Larry- You are dead wrong. The NMEA is actually made up of dealers and
manufacturers.
The voting is done by dealers and technicians. No manufacturer members
may vote. I'm not praising the RayTech software. It really isn't a
great product. It's just that when I read a statement that seems to
have been pulled from ones rear end I felt is necessary to correct.
Larry wrote:
"b393capt" wrote in
ups.com:

Best in
Show Award 2006 from the National Marine Electronics Association

NMEA, owned and operated by the manufacturers, giving themselves awards for
anything, is like the US Army awarding itself a medal for the Osprey
helicopter that can't fly....often enough to account for its price.

The Fox shouldn't be awarding the henhouse.....

NMMA hands itself awards for the best chopper gun boat, too....(c;

Too bad Consumer's Union and UL don't seem too interested....

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

What the He11 are you talking about. What is a 5000 Nav-Autopilot.
Do you actually work in the business or just express opinions? Well we
all know what opinions are like, and some stink more then others.
I was just trying to correct some wrong information, but I did not
realize that it wouldn't fit in the world according to Larry. NMEA is
an industry organization not consumer reports. The awards are not an
endorsment just a nice honor. You might want to check out their
industry magazine, MEJ, which will print both good and bad, but in a
professional way.
Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1163620537.245718.195050
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

The voting is done by dealers and technicians. No manufacturer members
may vote. I'm not praising the RayTech software. It really isn't a
great product. It's just that when I read a statement that seems to
have been pulled from ones rear end I felt is necessary to correct.

Name one product and point me to the webpage that says that "The Ubiquitous
5000 Nav-Autopilot is the worst product Ubiquitous ever put out. Noone
should buy this product because it doesn't work right and crashes a lot."

NMEA is like reading a damned boat magazine......nothing but a giant sales
brochure. We all know that everything in Boatland simply is NOT all rosey
and wonderful, don't we?

Even if the Ubiquitous 5000 is an awful piece of crap with 8 hours MTBF,
you'll NEVER hear a discouraging word from any of "them"....

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote in message
oups.com...
What the He11 are you talking about. What is a 5000 Nav-Autopilot.
Do you actually work in the business or just express opinions? Well we
all know what opinions are like, and some stink more then others.

It's Larry and someone mentioned Raymarine. He's just trying to find a way
to use it to whinge about their radomes.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

It's Larry and someone mentioned Raymarine. He's just trying to find
a way to use it to whinge about their radomes.

Not at all but thank you for remembering....

My point is no NMEA output is EVER going to be honest about ANY member's
equipment, no matter how bad it is.

Sorry...I'm still laughing about someone actually asking about the
Ubiquotous 5000 in the other reply....He doesn't get it...or you about the
point of the post.

Larry
--
Halloween candy sure has dropped in price, lately!
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry, I certainly understand when someone is so full of themselves
that they think their shat don't stink. I've dealt with many of your
kind in my 25+ years as an electronics dealer. Usually I'd encourage
you to go elsewhere. Full of opinions and low on facts. All hat and
no cowboy.
Larry wrote:
"Bill Kearney" wrote in
: