posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc luc is offline

Default Static on FM Radio

I've got excessive static on my FM radio, and discovered it's my
battery charger. Obviously, I want to keep the charger going, but
wonder if anyone knows how to suppress that noise.

Also, my refrigerator works on my batteries, and my charger charges
them. Is this going to decrease the battery life, to be continually
running the refrigeration on batteries, then charging the batteries to
keep up?

thanks for any information,

Luc

luc wrote:
I've got excessive static on my FM radio, and discovered it's my
battery charger. Obviously, I want to keep the charger going, but
wonder if anyone knows how to suppress that noise.

Also, my refrigerator works on my batteries, and my charger charges
them. Is this going to decrease the battery life, to be continually
running the refrigeration on batteries, then charging the batteries to
keep up?

thanks for any information,

Luc

Hello Luc,

I would guess the interference is
getting into your FM radio via the 12
wiring, either by conduction or
radiation from the charger. I would
expect the former.

The interference you describe is unusual
for battery chargers and raises the
question of whether it has always been
that way or whether this is a recent
development. Is the battery charger an
old one? Do you get static on any other
radios wired into the 12 volt system?

It would be good to know where the
problem resides and whether it is a
design problem or a defective component
in either the radio or the charger. That
will make it easier to talk about a fix.

Can you provide more info?

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc luc is offline

it is certainly an appropriate question, and I wondered exactly that
same thing. I haven't noticed it on the VHF, but then I'm not
listening to it for music, or news, and static might be less unusual
than on an FM set. The CD/FM/AM radio is a car radio, and worked fine
in my last car, but junked the car and kept the radio. Now there is
static.. I'm inclined to thinking it's in the 12V wiring rather than
outputting RF, but I don't kow, and don't know how to test for it
either.

thanks for your reply,

Luc

luc wrote:
it is certainly an appropriate question, and I wondered exactly that
same thing. I haven't noticed it on the VHF, but then I'm not
listening to it for music, or news, and static might be less unusual
than on an FM set. The CD/FM/AM radio is a car radio, and worked fine
in my last car, but junked the car and kept the radio. Now there is
static.. I'm inclined to thinking it's in the 12V wiring rather than
outputting RF, but I don't kow, and don't know how to test for it
either.

thanks for your reply,

Luc

I had just assumed it was your VHF FM
radio.

Do you get the same static on AM and CD
functions?

What are you using for an antenna?

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics

What sort of charger do you have ?

Is it a simple automobile type or a proper regulated marine charger.

If it a proper marine regulated type your batteries should be looked after
properly and last a long time.

On my boat it was the fridge which caused the interference. A 0.1 mfd
capacitor across the supply close to the fridge cured the problem.

Alec

"luc" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got excessive static on my FM radio, and discovered it's my
battery charger. Obviously, I want to keep the charger going, but
wonder if anyone knows how to suppress that noise.

Also, my refrigerator works on my batteries, and my charger charges
them. Is this going to decrease the battery life, to be continually
running the refrigeration on batteries, then charging the batteries to
keep up?

thanks for any information,

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"luc" wrote I've got excessive static on my FM
radio, and discovered it's my
battery charger. Obviously, I want to keep the charger going, but
wonder if anyone knows how to suppress that noise.

Also, my refrigerator works on my batteries, and my charger charges
them. Is this going to decrease the battery life, to be continually
running the refrigeration on batteries, then charging the batteries to
keep up?

thanks for any information,

Luc,
I have similar interference on our radio. But, I think it is only on AM ( we
don't use radio much at dock with charger/refrig on). Radio is not working
well, so I think I will buy a new one. I problem persists, will have to
determine if it is refrig or charger. But, I think it IS the charger - If
adding capacitor works for refrig noise, is there a similar solution for a
two bank Truecharge marine charger?

Many owners run their refrigeration using charger/batteries when at dock.
But, it probably does reduce the life of the batteries being constantly
charged and in use.

On my boat, I installed a power supply that automatically cuts in (bypasses
batteries) whenever AC is available.

My compressor is a Waeco/Adler Barbour BD35 and the power supply is a
Mobiltronics made specially for this compressor. The power supply actually
puts out 24V and surprisingly the compressor does not mind if it gets 12v
from batteries or 24V from power supply. I found the power supply for a low
price on eBay. Not sure I would have spent too much for one otherwise.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I had a lot of interference with a Cristec battery charger on both FM radio
and VHF. Cured it by replacing it with a Sterling charger.

What make is yours?

Phil

"luc" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got excessive static on my FM radio, and discovered it's my
battery charger. Obviously, I want to keep the charger going, but
wonder if anyone knows how to suppress that noise.

Also, my refrigerator works on my batteries, and my charger charges
them. Is this going to decrease the battery life, to be continually
running the refrigeration on batteries, then charging the batteries to
keep up?

thanks for any information,

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Phil Stanton" wrote:

I had a lot of interference with a Cristec battery charger on both FM radio
and VHF. Cured it by replacing it with a Sterling charger.

What make is yours?

Phil

Most of the "Noisy" Marine Battery Chargers, use an SCR to
control the charging duty cycle. These are notoriously noisy
as the SCR "Rings" when triggered, causing the noise. OEM's
like this system because it is CHEAP to build. Any good
Linear Regulated Charger will be much quieter, if not silent.
If noise is your problem, spend you money on a good Linear
Regulated Charger.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc luc is offline

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Phil Stanton" wrote:

I had a lot of interference with a Cristec battery charger on both FM radio
and VHF. Cured it by replacing it with a Sterling charger.

What make is yours?

Phil

Most of the "Noisy" Marine Battery Chargers, use an SCR to
control the charging duty cycle. These are notoriously noisy
as the SCR "Rings" when triggered, causing the noise. OEM's
like this system because it is CHEAP to build. Any good
Linear Regulated Charger will be much quieter, if not silent.
If noise is your problem, spend you money on a good Linear
Regulated Charger.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Not sure the details of my charger but it's a West Marine charger and
it is the culprit putting noise on the FM music stations. I turned it
off, and bingo! Noise begone! But, obviously, I'm going to continue
charging my batteries. So I can find out the details and change out to
a Linear Regulated Charger. Another question raised by the first
person who responded to this post, is the noise via the wiring, or is
it RF output that the FM is picking up?

thanks

Luc

Position a VHF Radio, a FishFinder, and a GPS in a 18-Ft Center Console? [email protected] General 25 January 17th 06 05:29 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Modifying Icom IC-M800 Steve Electronics 38 July 10th 04 03:49 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM