posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Static on FM Radio

luc inscribed in red ink for all to know:
Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article ,
"Phil Stanton" wrote:

I had a lot of interference with a Cristec battery charger on both FM radio
and VHF. Cured it by replacing it with a Sterling charger.

What make is yours?

Phil

Most of the "Noisy" Marine Battery Chargers, use an SCR to
control the charging duty cycle. These are notoriously noisy
as the SCR "Rings" when triggered, causing the noise. OEM's
like this system because it is CHEAP to build. Any good
Linear Regulated Charger will be much quieter, if not silent.
If noise is your problem, spend you money on a good Linear
Regulated Charger.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Not sure the details of my charger but it's a West Marine charger and
it is the culprit putting noise on the FM music stations. I turned it
off, and bingo! Noise begone! But, obviously, I'm going to continue
charging my batteries. So I can find out the details and change out to
a Linear Regulated Charger. Another question raised by the first
person who responded to this post, is the noise via the wiring, or is
it RF output that the FM is picking up?

thanks

Luc

Pull the antenna off of your VHF. If the noise goes away, or decreases
significantly, then it is arriving as RF (or at least partly so - it
could be coming both ways...).

If the "static" is actually hum and not static, then it is certainly
arriving over the power wiring.

bob

Position a VHF Radio, a FishFinder, and a GPS in a 18-Ft Center Console? [email protected] General 25 January 17th 06 05:29 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Modifying Icom IC-M800 Steve Electronics 38 July 10th 04 03:49 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM