posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Need Info Icom IC-M602

Hi, I am looking for info or maybe a schematic for an Icom IC-M602 VHF
marine radio. It no longer transmits.
Thanks for reading

Remove nospam from email to reply!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

They don't have a service manual and Iv'e looked at my other sources
for one but haven't found one yet. You can get the operators manual at
this link but it won't do you much good for troubleshooting. It's a
2.2Meg pdf
http://www.icom.co.jp/manual/externa...rs/IC-M602.pdf

Eric

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for info or maybe a schematic for an Icom IC-M602 VHF
marine radio. It no longer transmits.
Thanks for reading

Remove nospam from email to reply!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Those have 3 years warranty, even if you passed the warranty why not give a
try to the company - most often they repair for a very small fee and you can
even have it for free.

André (ICOM 602 owner)

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for info or maybe a schematic for an Icom IC-M602 VHF
marine radio. It no longer transmits.
Thanks for reading

Remove nospam from email to reply!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Jerry wrote in news:aByUg.160$Yn2.96
@newsfe10.lga:

Hi, I am looking for info or maybe a schematic for an Icom IC-M602 VHF
marine radio. It no longer transmits.
Thanks for reading

How big is your surface mount laboratory? Are you certified in
microminiature soldering of CMT?

No? Then, you need to return the M802 to Icom for repair....before you
screw it all up for good....

It's not field repairable for even the good technicians.

Do you have the remote Commander mic on it? Does it transmit from the
remote mic if you do? This might be an indication of a broken wire in the
mic if it does.....

Larry wrote:
How big is your surface mount laboratory? Are you certified in
microminiature soldering of CMT?

You don't need a laboratory or certification but you do need
experience if it comes down to replacing surface mount components. Iv'e
replaced 80 pin surface mount microprocessors in Icom marine radios
using standard soldering station equipment but I have many years of
experience doing this.

No? Then, you need to return the M802 to Icom for repair....before you
screw it all up for good....

There's no harm in opening it up and looking for the obvious. That's
one of the first steps in troubleshooting. I can't tell you how many
radios Iv'e repaired due to defective solder joints, particularly on
components and devices with large leads such as power devices and the
center pin of the SO-238 RF chassis connector as well as connectors
soldered to the pcb's.
You'll need a magnifying glass and strong lighting to inspect for these
bad joints.

It's not field repairable for even the good technicians.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, and the latest radios have
become increasingly difficult to repair due to surface mount technology
and size, but some repairs can still be quite simple.