posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] fairbank56@yahoo.com is offline

Default Need Info Icom IC-M602

Larry wrote:
How big is your surface mount laboratory? Are you certified in
microminiature soldering of CMT?

You don't need a laboratory or certification but you do need
experience if it comes down to replacing surface mount components. Iv'e
replaced 80 pin surface mount microprocessors in Icom marine radios
using standard soldering station equipment but I have many years of
experience doing this.

No? Then, you need to return the M802 to Icom for repair....before you
screw it all up for good....

There's no harm in opening it up and looking for the obvious. That's
one of the first steps in troubleshooting. I can't tell you how many
radios Iv'e repaired due to defective solder joints, particularly on
components and devices with large leads such as power devices and the
center pin of the SO-238 RF chassis connector as well as connectors
soldered to the pcb's.
You'll need a magnifying glass and strong lighting to inspect for these
bad joints.

It's not field repairable for even the good technicians.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, and the latest radios have
become increasingly difficult to repair due to surface mount technology
and size, but some repairs can still be quite simple.